Bird Feeders

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My post about window shelves, led me to bird feeders.

I had one in my window for about two months and not one single bird came to eat on it.

I had the right kind of feed, for wild birds, for my area, but I don't know if they did not find it, or if my appartment is too high up (I live on a 5th floor, but it's higher than most 6ths.

Those of you who have bird feeders, do you live in houses or appartment blocks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see them flying by, from tree to tree, but they will not come to my window ledge. Sparrows mostly.

ihave4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I´m on the bottom floor of an apartment building and obviously many birds come around my yard. Usually one bird arrives and attracts everyone else minutes later, and maybe being higher up and not a lot of space (just a ledge and not a yard) it´s obviously not going to atrract many birds at the same time - and at least for me the birds start coming when a couple are already there. Plus I may be wrong but as birds fly they can easily see food on the ground, I expect they are looking there and not at buildings while flying. I have absoultely no idea, just assuming.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm fortunate with my feeders, especially given my relatively urban location, but I know that for some people, it can take a while (usually not two months though), so one possibility is that maybe the birds in your area don't like the type of perches on it. many feeders have posts (basically they are like little sections of a pen or pencil), but birds actually tend to prefer the ring shape, like in this picture.

One other option is that you just got bad seed. if seed is old, it can spoil, and birds wont' feed off of it. of course, it is possible that you are just in a bad place for birds, but I figured that I would at least mention those two possabilities to explore.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm just too high for them. Sad, because Bruce would love the entertainment.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Live birds are great entertainment but you can look for the cat videos that feature fluttery birds making enticing noises. Because they're geared for cats there is a lot of focus on the movements that would attract cats.
I wouldn't give up hope if just one sparrow finds it you will have regulars. Just be careful you don't draw mice or something I guess.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Live birds are great entertainment but you can look for the cat videos that feature fluttery birds making enticing noises. Because they're geared for cats there is a lot of focus on the movements that would attract cats.
I wouldn't give up hope if just one sparrow finds it you will have regulars. Just be careful you don't draw mice or something I guess.
Hi!

Bruce does not pay any attention to the tv, we've tried several different videos... which is actually a good thing, as he could knock down the tv if he tried to catch the birds!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are the trees close to you? Most birds will not fly far from cover. Like kittens mom kittens mom said, 5/6 stories is also pretty high up for most backyard birds, some of whom prefer to eat from the ground (sparrows, juncos, etc.). /:

Black oil sunflower seeds are all you really need for most backyard birds, unless you're looking for something like bluejays (who love peanuts) or finches (who love thistle/nyjer seeds).

It's always a bummer when you offer up food and the birds still won't come out!!

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we have trees, that almost reach my flat, but I rarely see birds on top. Sometimes sparrows will fly by, but rarely.

I'm convinced now it's a lost battle. :cool2:

Need to find new way to entertain Master Bruce.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the 3rd floor at treetop level. I wish I could put bird feeders outside our windows but the crows, seagulls and squirrels are too voracious. Better to just let all the other birds do as they already do (swarm our treetops multiple times a day hunting bugs -- so many lovely birds!)

madzoya madzoya , about putting a feeder on your window or on your window sill and the birds avoiding it? Maybe, just maybe, they've seen a kitty on the other side of the window glass and so that's a bit too close for comfort for them?!
:bigeyes:

Can you lean out the window and affix a feeder on a nearby tree branch instead?

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps the only suggestion I can come up with since the birds I feed KNOW me. They ignore my husband and everyone else. That feeder empty they will peck on the window. Feed the birds on the ground below use a soft whistle and put some feed on the ground. It's possible that if they come to know you down there you can lure them up with your voice or a familiar sound. Birds are smart. Feed sparingly so they come to associate you with the food.

madzoya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm on the 3rd floor at treetop level. I wish I could put bird feeders outside our windows but the crows, seagulls and squirrels are too voracious. Better to just let all the other birds do as they already do (swarm our treetops multiple times a day hunting bugs -- so many lovely birds!)

madzoya madzoya , about putting a feeder on your window or on your window sill and the birds avoiding it? Maybe, just maybe, they've seen a kitty on the other side of the window glass and so that's a bit too close for comfort for them?!
:bigeyes:

Can you lean out the window and affix a feeder on a nearby tree branch instead?
Unfortunatelly the trees are to far from my window and I can only fix the feeder in the window. I will try it in my weekend home, where I have a balcony. Maybe they will go there.