Bird catching problem?!

nyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! My cat has been catching a lot of birds lately.. Today she caught the 4th one of the week. :jaw: It's not like I don't feed her, she is actually quite fat and I'm thinking she might be pregnant (yes, I will get her spayed). Do you have any idea why she might've catching so many birds? And how to get her to stop? Shes a persian so she gets pretty bloody.. Thanks!:rbheart::yummy:

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there ...I'm not an expert but catching prey is instinct I think - probably for some more than others ...this is one reason why I keep my cat indoors, cats take too many song birds ... if cats could target the invasive species ...that'd be acceptable to me ...but they don't ...they catch what they can catch.  Maybe being (possibly) pregnant has stimulated her to hunt more (??) ...just guessing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nyny

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She catches a lot of pigeons.. We have ducks and the pigeons eat they're food. Thanks for responding!! :bigwink:

loribeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ah ...pigeons!  they could probably use a little culling anyway lol

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel, I almost cry when my cat brings a wren or nuthatch home, but then I praise him and give him treats when he brings me a mole.He does eat them, and he gets all he wants to eat at home, too (?) I would like to make everyone aware that if your cat is eating rabbits they are almost sure to acquire tapeworms which need rabbits to complete their life cycle.There are topical treatments you can apply to the back of the neck (Profender is one) to get rid of them and is a lot easier on you to give. If you are in a neighborhood that doesn't have cat predators you could bell your cat which would save the birds. I myself would take the bell off in the house because it would drive me crazy, but it does work. Good luck!