Biologically Appropriate Raw Food diet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what percentage of this site's population uses this diet would you guess?

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

what percentage of this site's population uses this diet would you guess?
En extremely low percentage. Maybe 1%.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the frozen raw food, you have to remember to take it out at least 12 hours before meal time and put it in the fridge to thaw (NEVER on the counter). I always throw a frozen patty in one of those little zip-lock boxes when I stick it in the fridge, that keeps it air tight. I don't thaw any more than I need for 1-2 days of feeding at a time, cause just like raw meat for people, after a day or two in the fridge it will start growing bacteria and because you're not cooking this food, that's a real concern. I have occassionally forgotten to thaw out food and I've tried defrosting it in the microwave, ten seconds at a time, so it never has a chance to get really cooked, but it still cooks a little, and gets a little stinky, and the cats don't like it as much. If I have canned food on hand, they just get a meal of all canned food. Also, don't leave the food down for more than 20-30 minutes. After that, whatever they haven't eaten needs to be picked up and thrown away. And don't forget to wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after handling the meat. As an added precaution, and convenience, I've started feeding them off of paper plates. They're always clean, and it's easy to clean up. Washing the raw food off the dishes with hot water is a little stinky for me, plus I don't have a garbage disposal yet, so paper makes my life easier. And the kitties seem to think its great fun to push their plate all over the kitchen floor then pounce on it

One pitfall is that if you have to board your cats or get a pet sitter after they are on the raw diet, the person who's feeding them may or may not be ok with handling the raw food. Also, if your power is out for a long time and the frozen food defrosts, that could be a problem. In these cases, it would be beneficial if your cat is still willing to eat canned food. I plan on continuing to give mine canned food every once in a while as a treat for this reason.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also if there is any ground bone in the meat you can't put it in the microwave. Any bit of heat could cause the bone to start cooking making the bone dangerous. Bone is soft and not a danger when it is raw. I have wet food on hand JUST in case we didn't put some in to thaw or it was unthawed enough.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all get the B.A.R.F. diet. I use Bravo. Here's the correct link to their site: http://www.bravorawdiet.com
I've been feeding raw for several years. For me it's much more expensive to feed raw than the commercial foods. The vast health benefits derived from this diet outweigh the extra cost in my case.
There have been some very heated discussions on this forum about the raw diet, so some of the "barfers" lay low, but I sure hope the percentage who feed this is higher than 1%.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are - Members: 17,726, Active Members: 2,359.

If we JUST looked at the active members, 1% is 23 or so. Yah I bet we could find 23 on here. Ok maybe we have 2%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i think i'm sold on this diet, i'm just going to do some more research and try to find a local dealer.........

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how i would go about finding a premade raw supplier in the UK? I would like to try it, although the cats have had a treat of raw meat twice this year (I am a vegi, so dont have it in), and the only one who wolfed it both times was Ginger - and he has no teeth!! Molly and PEbbles did like the rump steak, and both eat a wet food that is 60% meat. The other prob I have is with fostering - although 2 of the 3 fosters refused the raw rump steak!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
booktigger - pets at home sell a premade raw food. I think it might be natures menu and is designed for dogs (it's in the freezer cabinets in the dog section) but they sell a supplement that is supposed to make it suitable for cats. I was thinking of trying that myself, but I'm holding off doing anything drastic with their food until Jaffa's been to the vet in about a month's time for a full senior check up as I want to make sure he's got a clean bill of health before I introduce him to raw. Both of mine love it when I give them a piece of raw meat.

http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/