Bike chain oil on fur!! She won't have a bath! Help!

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Squish just ran into my boyfriends bike wheel and has oil down her side. I tried washing it off with face wipes then warm water with a smidgen of fairy liquid as I have no shampoo and am in the uk so can't get "dawn soap"

She is soaking wet but went berserk at the bath and gouged me. The oil is a bit less but still there!

Any suggestions as to what I can do? She is cleaning herself and I'm worried about her ingesting the oil remants or any soap suds left over!!!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Neither the soap nor bike oil are good for her.  

Rinse more using wet face cloth or towel and then drying, wet again and dry to remove soap.  I you think oil is still there you can you dilute the oil from the bike with vegetable oil..  The vegetable oil is not dangerous though she may not like it.  The idea is to dilute the nasty stuff and lift off, dilute again and lift off again.You use paper or towels to soak away as much of the oil as you can.  Once you think the bad oil is away she would hopefully be OK grooming residue.  Either that or once you have diluted the bike oild enough get to a pet supermarket as soon as you can, get pet shampoo and bath her, or at least soak the affected area, then shampoo then rinse thoroughly.   

Appreciate it's hard.  Diluting with vegetable oil and letting her groom may be slightly less traumatic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the ultra speedy response! I did wonder about adding more oil. I will give that a go. She is grumpy at the moment post bath! Poor thing! Thanks for your help I will give the vege oil a go. I only have grape seed oil so hopefully that is ok? I'll only use a smidgen

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure grapeseed oil  - grapes are toxic but I don't know if it is a particular part of them!

No other vegetable oil?  Perhaps a neighbourb would have something?

For future reference a look at the following thread might be useful:

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/174854/101-things-that-can-harm-your-cat

If nothing else soak some facecloths or something and try to get more of the detergent out.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you have anything like Goop hand cleaner? I think it was originally developed for auto mechanics to clean oil and grease off their hands. It works very well on cats, too. You only need a small amount rubbed into the area where the oil is. You can either rinse it by pouring warm water over it or use a damp cloth to wipe it out. Using the damp cloth you'll need to go over it multiple times.