Big snapping turtle

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow your so lucky, ur husband sounds like a total sweetheart! If only all men were like that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

wow your so lucky, ur husband sounds like a total sweetheart! If only all men were like that!
Awww Thank you! He is a really special guy!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all come to Georgia. They get HUGE here. Unfortuantly, some of our local rednecks (don't believe all the stereotypes, there aren't that many of them) shoot them so they won't bite people. It's wrong and it's illegal of them but what really gets me about it is I've never in my life heard of someone being attacked by a snapping turtle. I really like them. They look like modern dinosaurs. Luckily, I've sorted a few rednecks out on the issue. I can be hard to say no to on such matters.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack Hanna had one on Good Morning America this morning. It was huge and estimated to be about 108 years old.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love turtles! No willd ones roaming around here though!!

I have one three toed boxie (She pretty much free ranges in an enclosed part of my yard). She lots of fresh leafy greens, fruit on occasion, high quality low protein lite senior dog food soaked in water (I also use that dog food for my rats homemade mix) and whatever bugs she digs for (Lots of earthworms in my yard). She is living a good life!! And she hibernates every winter. (You really have to make sure they cannot dig out of their enclosures! They can escape, AND climb!!)

And I have an RES. He always had anacharis available (They NEED vegatation too. People seem to think they can live off of fish their entire lives!!) and he gets Monster diet aquatic turtle diet, frozen bloodworms, and a frozen turtle diet. I do have a big 2,000 gallon pond, but I have golds in there..so he can't be in there. I am currently working on a large above ground pond for him so he can be outside, and then during the winter he will have to suffer in a smaller tank inside.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^I've seen her shell. Cut the dog food out of her diet, she's a turtle not a dog and the vitamins in the food are made to meet a dog's nutritional needs.

It's generally accepted that older care sheets and books that suggest cat and dog food as being ok for the main diet are wrong. If anything it can only be offered as an occasional treat. Tess's site is fairly good http://www.boxturtlesite.info/ she also has recently published book and hosts the kingsnake.com box turtle forum.