BIG NEWS ABOUT Me & SHEBA!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The DA who is handling the case called me at home on Wed-yes I was sick-I tried not to sound like a babling idiot!! We had a very nice talk. I received my subpoena this morning. So it continues............

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail - I just found out that in Australia there is a database that tracks people who have a criminal history of cruelty/torture of animals - particularly animals like cats and other defenceless little critters - as there is a proven psychological link between such people and serial killers and/or murderers.

I don't mean to creep you out seeing as he's your neighbour and all, but the link is such that when (not if!) this guy gets a conviction - even if it might not seem as though it is tough enough, if there is anything like this where you are from (and I'm sure there is) then you can rest assured that he will be kept an eye on.

In Perth about a week ago three young men were convicted of torturing some kittens (I don't know what happened I can't watch stuff like that on the news) but the lady I know who works with this database said they will be watched, now, for the rest of their lives. So hopefully your sicko neighbour won't be going around killing/torturing/poisoning any poor little creature any longer.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a message on my answering machine last night stating that the subpeona and the prelininary hearing was cancelled. I called DA's office this morning for information and the lady I spoke with really didn't have any details.
She said it could just be cancelled and will be rescheduled or that my neighbor waived his right to the hearing and it will just be a sentencing hearing-but she didn't know.
So now I have to sit and wait to see what happens next. I really hope its not a postponement but rather that the hearing was waived and a plea agreement was reached. So you all will know when I know.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Nothing much new except the preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb 18th at 2:00 pm. There was a horrible letter to the editor basically stating how horrible I am for letting my cats out-this letter was from a supposed cat owner who evidently not concerned that there was someone out there SHOOTING CATS but OMG they could be pooping in a sandbox-I live in the country hello!! and the infamous they are killing birds-my windows on my house kill birds the cats are too old or fat for birds-they like mice.voles instead. So that letter bummed me out but when I spoke to the DA's office today the very nice victim's assistance told me not to pay attention to what's in the newpaper-that made me feel a bit better. So the days march on slowly until that day next month.
Hang in there. There's always someone who will blame the victim.

Hope you here some good news soon.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love when I read stuff about the case in the newspaper!! (NOT) On saturday the local newspaper reported "Accused cat killer won't face felony charges" Yes I had know that for a few weeks-but couldn't reveal. Basically its now a misdemeanor with up to 9 months in jail & up to $10,000 fine. I have to wait until the sentencing date notification. Its hard to believe its coming up on 5 months. Sometimes it feels like yesterday. So thats all for know.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another update-the sentencing hearing is May 9th at 10:30. Well the wheels of justice turn slowly don't they!!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Another update-the sentencing hearing is May 9th at 10:30. Well the wheels of justice turn slowly don't they!!
They sure do... but look at it this way, he is probably very nervous about the outcome of this thing and wants it to be over. Now he has even longer to reflect back on what he did and hopefully feel guilty about it. I worked for a criminal defense attorney a while back and those folks used to hate their courtdate being pushed. They were terrified of jail and of court and some would even call weekly in tears looking for reassurance.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it prolongs everything for you and just adds to your stress - but this other person will be spending all that time not knowing what's going to happen. It means they won't be able to make any plans for the future. So if the wheels do seem to turn slowly I'd look at that as part of the sentence.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail, when the guy that caused my accident was called to court to answer his ticket, I was there each and every time. I was on first name basis with the court baliff! I was able to tell the proscecuter each and every date and why it was postponed again. I was there during rain storms, snow storms, on my birthday and even with a fever of 101*. That helped me win my case because it showed that I wasn't ready to let it be swept under the carpet.

Byt the time we finally got him to court, his file was about 3" thick with 2 bench warrants against him.

The point of this posting: Don't give up! Show an interest in any and all twists and turns the case takes. And don't drop your expectations of the prosecuter. I told him from the very beginning, I wanted a guilty conviction with maximum penalty. This man not only injured me, but he had me in court once a month for the entire evening for 2 yrs. At the end, we got our conviction.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I mailed out the victim impact statement and sentencing requests yesterday and have some othe the resititution information gathered. I want that out in the mail next week. Then I sit and wait......(and wait)..........

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
May 9th?? Oh Gail, that must seem like another decade! But you've been amazing so far. I'm glad you mailed your VIS and hang in there. What Sweets said about not lowering the threshhold in ANY way for ANY reason makes so much sense. But May 9th?? Sheesh! Is there a backlog up there in Green Bay or something?
(((HUGS)))
Elizabeth