Big Mistake With NEW CAT First day

gvff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a cat from a shelter that is likely a Maine Coon. That's what the shelter said. They are very gentle cats and he is that way, Maine Coon or not. The existing cat was very needy when introduced to my last old cat, who had to be put to sleep so there was no problem at that time.. But I recall when I first got the existing one one item on the form a past owner fills out said "So-So" to the question of how she got along with other pets. Now I see why.

Not 2 hours in my home, the "Maine Coon" slipped out of the bathroom twice. I want to keep them separate at first, and that is his space. My existing cat suddenly became a lion, hissing, growling etc. and the second time the new cat slipped out she attacked it, and the new cat defended itself until I quickly broke up the starting fight.

So, what can I do to repair the damage AND does that kind of reaction from my existing cat mean the jig is up and she will never accept the newcomer? Or is that just part of too quick introduction.

Thanks

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all let me say that this may take some time .. So be patient and remember it's ONLY the first day! It's hard on everyone !, you your old cat and the new Main Coon . And then take your older cats toys and scratching pads ..etc in the place where the newcomer will stay . When it's feeding time put the plates on opposite directions of the door so they will smell each other while eating which makes them familiar with each other more.[emoji]10084[/emoji]️ Your first cat may feel jelous or betrayed so don't forget to show him some love as well .. Wishing you the best of luck
Ps( look at Jackson Galaxies videos on his YouTube channel about topics like this[emoji]128522[/emoji])

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gvff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I have to remember my old cat's position. And when she first saw the new cat, I had snuck him in. So out of nowhere my old cat suddenly sees a stranger coming out of the bathroom. She was probably completely freaked out.

Thanks so much!