Big Ginger cold and wet outside

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen him about in his usual places so it's likely that he's been snug and warm in his own home during the bad weather.

I really think that him being out in the rain hadn't been deliberate on the part of his owners, it had started raining quite late and they maybe hadn't realised that the weather had turned. Whilst I don't agree with putting a cat out at night, many people do think it's ok. It's not as if there are any roads round here, the whole estate is pedestrianised and quiet.

He's not a stray by any means, he's well fed and no sign of fleas or earmites, a very healthy fellow all round. The injury that I thought he had on his tail turned out to be an old healed injury upon close inspection, he'd at some point long ago broken the very tip of it, so there was no reason for me to panic about that after all!

Still trying to gently find out exactly who his owners are, I know they live very nearby, but I'm not interested in questioning their care of this healthy cat, just in letting them know that I keep an eye out for him and maybe to offer to look after him for them if they go on holiday or something!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you did the right thing, and maybe it was like you said, the owners might not have known that it started raining and was cold.

It it happens again I would do the same thing, even if just for the night.

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Epona

OK I've now stolen someone's cat.
I wouldn't worry too much about that.
To prove Theft,It has to be proven your intention is to keep the 'property' and since you don't intend to keep him from his
legal owners then it's not theft.
You did the right thing taking him in,Good on you
and any decent owner would appreciate you doing that

I hope you do find out his owner though,then at least you'll know

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Still trying to gently find out exactly who his owners are, I know they live very nearby, but I'm not interested in questioning their care of this healthy cat, just in letting them know that I keep an eye out for him and maybe to offer to look after him for them if they go on holiday or something!
Maybe you can purchase a collar with a special tag that can contain a note. If it happens again you could attach it to him with a note that contains your name and number so when you release him again and he returns home they can read the note and contact you. Maybe even a regular tag that says something like "please call me" with your phone number. It may seem a little creepy but perhaps it could start a cat friendly relationship

Then you can explain that you are just looking out for their kitty and you by no means to confront them or anything you were just letting him have a "slumber party" with your cat

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AsecretK

Maybe you can purchase a collar with a special tag that can contain a note. If it happens again you could attach it to him with a note that contains your name and number so when you release him again and he returns home they can read the note and contact you. Maybe even a regular tag that says something like "please call me" with your phone number. It may seem a little creepy but perhaps it could start a cat friendly relationship

Then you can explain that you are just looking out for their kitty and you by no means to confront them or anything you were just letting him have a "slumber party" with your cat
That is fantastic advice- I will consider it

Saw Big Ginger out in the cold tonight and took out one of Radars treats for him, making a point of littering the plastic cover on the floor (as an environmentalist this was to my view very bad) which I hope any owner would see

He is a lovely cat and it upsets me to see him out in the cold, if the owners get the impression he might 'stray' then I'm fine with them giving him the attention he deserves...
I just find it upsetting to see him out and about

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Er yeah apart from it's not cold and he has a lot of fur - our heating hasn't even been on for the last 3 days, Ginger isn't going to freeze any time soon