bi-polar kitty?

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jericho will be super sweet, head bumps, cheek rubbing, then curl up on my chest and nuzzle my neck then randomly out of nowhere he will strike my face like a cobra and bite.

what the heck can i do to make him stop this? how can he change so suddenly?

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RiffxRaff

jericho will be super sweet, head bumps, cheek rubbing, then curl up on my chest and nuzzle my neck then randomly out of nowhere he will strike my face like a cobra and bite.

what the heck can i do to make him stop this? how can he change so suddenly?
We're kind of dealing with the same problem.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps he's getting overly stimulated/excited and lashes out?

Maybe putting him down for a while to 'cool down' might help?

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same thing happens with Leiki. We've taken to ignoring her or locking her in the bathroom or out of the room we're in if she's being especially violent, lol.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he's getting over stimulated, because you're patting him to much.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties seem to do this. I think I would let him decide how much petting he wants by just laying my hand near him and letting him rub against it if he wants but not reaching for him. If that works, then you know it may be a question of how much attention he wants. Otherwise, I don't know, aliens are controlling his mind?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riffxraff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well we know how he is and don touch him unless he comes to us b. He is crazy aggressive in Play, but when he comes to us and is sleeping and out of nowhere attacks is ridiculous. We don't even have to be petting him.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Geronimo's the same way. He hasn't actually hauled off and attacked me while petting him, but there were a few occasions where I moved too suddenly while he was on my lap and the sudden movement spooked him and caused him to lash out. He has serious issues due to being abused before I got him and is extremely hypersensitive. I have to be cautious around him when he gets in one of his "moods". I've tried using the Rescue Remedy on him to help calm him down, but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect on him.

I really don't know what to tell you that may help.
Some cats are just hypersensitive for whatever reason, and you just have to be cautious around them. I wish I had some advice to give you....

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats do this. My Pinky was terrible about it when he was younger. It's called overstimulation aggression and you need to watch for signs on when they are about to lash out and simply stop touching them before they strike. Pinky grew out of it eventually.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RiffxRaff

Well we know how he is and don touch him unless he comes to us b. He is crazy aggressive in Play, but when he comes to us and is sleeping and out of nowhere attacks is ridiculous. We don't even have to be petting him.
I've quoted and bolded as people seem to be missing this point.

Possibly bad dreams?
Neurological disorder?

Doesn't sound like over-stimulation in this particular case anyway.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is strange. If I read your post right he'll be sleeping then suddenly jump up and attack you? I don't have a single idea as to what's causing that. I'm going with my alien theory!