Better to prepare?

ichini

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just found out that when my current living arrangement ends, I am going to be moving in with my boyfriend and his mother again. Her kitty, Kermy is a grumpy old man. He is maybe 16-18 year old, which from the insane amount of human food she feeds him (lean cuisines, chips, basically anything no one else would eat) I don't know how he is alive. Anyways, it'll be in about 5 months, and since he is so moody and grumpy I was wondering if maybe it would be better to slowly assimilate him to our crazy wild Ichi? Maybe have Ichi over just to be around more as move in time gets closer,or would it be better just to jump right into the water?

zella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you already have the completely right idea about what to do.

It would probably be more comfortable for both the cats if you introduce them to one another in small doses and over a period of time. Definably go with your gut on this one. The old grump might not ever 'like' your crazy young cat but I am sure he will learn to live with him ha ha :)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how well bringing Ichi over again and again will work. Every time Ichy goes over, it will be like the first time. Cats get used to each other by constantly being around one another.

Think about this from Kermy's perspective. A new cat comes over to visit, and you feel your territory is being attacked (especially since you said he was grouchy to begin with). This cat then leaves before anything can get resolved (it usually takes days and days for cats to start to get along), and now you're back at square one. My cats get cranky at each other when one gets back from the vet because he smell weird. Ichi will smell foreign every time you bring him over, and that will upset Kermy every time. Also, once you do move in, Kermy will wonder why the 'visitor cat' is now in his house 24/7.

I would say your best bet is to shut Ichi in the room you will be staying in until him and Kermy can get used to eat other (BTW, this is after you have moved in). Long distance, intermittent introductions don't have a high chance of working due to WHY cats don't like newcomers (territorial reasons). Until that house is Ichy's territory, there's no point in upsetting Kermy.