Better quality prescription food?

rinadaventry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

My cat had some very serious UTI issues earlier this year that resulted in a major surgery and a mega vet bill for me. The vet has put him permenatly on Science Diet Prescription C/D, which dissolves bladder stones. However...it's an awful quality food! The first three ingredients are Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, and Chicken By-Product Meal. My cat doesn't like it, it makes his litterbox reek horribly, and it's making him shed so badly that my allergies, which have been fine for YEARS, are kicking back up. The vet says that food is the only option, but I'm a little suspicious since they actually sell it. Does anyone know of an alternative, high quality food that does the job? Obviously, if it's C/D or more health issues, I'll feed him to C/D, but if there's ANYTHING higher quality out there, I'd be thrilled (even wondered if I could feed him raw, and add the medicine from the C/D separately?).

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that Royal Canin and Purina also make prescription diets. The ingredients are only marginally better, but maybe one of them will agree with your kitty more. I'm not sure if they specifically make bladder stone diets, though. . .I'll see what info I can find.

Here's the RC food, it's for struvite stones and lower urinary tract disease: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product...3-Dry-Cat-Food It's not great, ingredient-wise but at least the first ingredient is chicken meal.

And here's the Purina version: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product...ne-Formula-Dry I think the RC food looks better in the ingredients, but this one is made with beef so it would be an option if your kitty has problems with chicken.

Hmm, I didn't know this until I did a search, but Iams also has prescription diets. They have 2 different urinary formulas: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product...-Dry-Cat-Food# and: http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product...-Dry-Cat-Food#

All of those also have canned versions, which of course would be better if your kitty will eat them. And your vet has to agree, because you need a prescription for them.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wysong carries a formula called Uretic. Wysong uses natural herbs like dandelion and uva ursi to help with urinary issues. They do make rx foods but I think the Uretic is sold over the counter. Google Wysong. Some of their regular foods aren't the greatest but their rx foods and some regular foods are pretty good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to list the Wysong as well, but it says it's a preventive food, not for treatment after the fact. I'm sure some people use it for that purpose, though.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh okay I didn't know it was preventive - when I was researching Wysong, I was looking for my dog who had crystals. I am sure they would have a treatment food...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that because their food isn't prescription, they aren't allowed to make medical claims. But it probably works the same as the others.

bloodparrotgirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow this is crazy because my cat right now has to be on the same food, Hill's Prescription Diet C/D, but Milo eats it just fine...and it's because he develops stones as well because his kidneys can't break down the food all the way.

The issue that I am having, and I am hoping you guys can help me. If need be I'll start a new thread.
But right now, unfortunately I can't afford to keep buying the prescription food for Milo and I am looking for an alternative until I can start buying it again. He needs to eat more wet food and to buy a case of the canned food is like $40.00 and that just isn't possible.
Can you guys please recommend any other brands that might be able to help him? I am going to look into the one listed above, but anything else would be a great help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of people who used Friskies Urinary Care (canned) when they couldn't afford the prescription stuff anymore. . .I guess that if it says "urinary care" on the can it's required to have all the right balances. But if something is working for him I'd hate to recommend anything else. Have you looked at online prices? Maybe you can find his prescription stuff cheaper.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I'm thinking that because their food isn't prescription, they aren't allowed to make medical claims. But it probably works the same as the others.
Willowy, they do offer rx foods that are ordered over the phone and for which you have to have a script for. I was going to have my vet write a script for their diet for struvite crystals for dogs but found their Biotic ph- which solved the problem.

bloodparrotgirl, I'm surprised that c/d is that expensive for you in the U.S. I've had people tell me they go to the States just to buy rx food as it is much cheaper there. Hmmm....I would go with Willowy's suggestion and search for prices online. Or, bring some of the friskies stuff to your vet and ask if it will be suitable.