Best Way to Separate New/Old Cats-Help!

jsmla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We (very unexpectedly) have acquired a new kitten and our older (17 months) cat Iggy is NOT happy about it! Before the kitten came Iggy wasn't exactly a snuggle bunny but was still quite friendly. Now I can't get within two feet of him without getting attacked-not just a hiss, a full-out yowling, growling, hissing, biting, claws-bared attack. This is when the kitten isn't even in the room. I tried to put a bit of vanilla on Iggy to help with the new cat scent and now have huge scratches on my arms and face. This is a cat who, while very playful and sometimes a bit too rough, has never attacked like this.

Our downstairs is very open plan and the only suitable room for the new kitten is Ig's food and litter box area. Right now I've moved his litter box and food to the next room. He's eating and using the box but I'm worried about this very sudden, very extreme aggression. Should I give Iggy his room back and just keep the kitten in the carrier when it's not with me?

Also-this kitten is very young and I'm worried about socialization if he's alone in the downstairs bath for very long.

Please-I need advice!

Jennifer