Best way to introduce new cat into home

my2catsabc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Im adopoting a 9 mos old female calico into my home in a few weeks,.
I just recently lost a 5 yo old male and my other 7 yo is missing him.
We also have a 12 yo gently lab that is use to cats being around. What is the best way to introduce the new cat in our home? Thanks

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Best way is to keep the new cat in a separate room for away. Swap toys around so your cats can smell something with the new cat's scent on it and visa versa. I know the idea type of room would be like a all season's sun room that has a sliding glass door connecting to the rest of the house that way they can see each other and the the door can be slightly open (enough for a paw to fit through.) When it seems like the kitties are calm and relaxed near each other or if you see them trying to calmly play with each other through the crack then you can try bringing your current cats, one at a time, inside the room with the new cat and see how they do without any divide. If they do okay one on one then you can try all of them together. If things are still good then you can fully integrate them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my2catsabc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank-you for your advice! I appreciate it!

Originally Posted by TheMBCat

Best way is to keep the new cat in a separate room for away. Swap toys around so your cats can smell something with the new cat's scent on it and visa versa. I know the idea type of room would be like a all season's sun room that has a sliding glass door connecting to the rest of the house that way they can see each other and the the door can be slightly open (enough for a paw to fit through.) When it seems like the kitties are calm and relaxed near each other or if you see them trying to calmly play with each other through the crack then you can try bringing your current cats, one at a time, inside the room with the new cat and see how they do without any divide. If they do okay one on one then you can try all of them together. If things are still good then you can fully integrate them.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TheMBCat

Great advice I would only repeat the same thing. I've done it twice and sometime is takes months sometimes only a few weeks just go slow and have patience. If you do it right they will get along just let them lead the pace. I found also switch the rooms they were in helped I guess because it give them more contact with the new cats scent.