best way to deal with raccoons invadeing feeding stations in wooded area?

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have a colony  that Ihave cared for  for ten years now. have two feeding areas.one is in the wooded area out of site on ElksLodge property. the other is located in small bushy area close to the employee parking lot.am still trying to trap a female  cat. all the other cats have been TNRd. very few of the cats come to the wooded area when my friend  is there refilling the food dishes. the question I have is do Ilimit the amount of food I put out in the wooded area or do I remove the food dishes after a certain amount of time? caught a raccoon in the trap in the wooded area last time instead of the female cat. is it possible that the cats are afraid to feed in the wooded area? 

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason you have two feeding stations instead of one? I'm surprised that after 10 years you're only now having problems with raccoons--I've had problems with them from day one. Many of us have tried many ways to keep the raccoons out of the cat food, but raccoons are very good at problem-solving, climbing, are good with their paws, and have long memories, so it's mostly a losing battle. The only sure way to keep raccoons out of the cat food is to not leave food out after dark. Feral cats will get used to a feeding schedule and learn to come at daybreak and before dark if that is when food is available.

From my experience, cats and single raccoons co-exist and even share food resources. However, a group of raccoons entering a feeding station together will scare cats off. Maybe set the trap at the food station where the raccoons haven't yet invaded so you won't catch any more raccoons. I know it can be scary releasing a raccoon from a trap.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
some of the feral cats have not gone into the wooded area to feed while we are there to refill the feeding bowls. decided to set up a smaller feeding station in the bushes for the cats that will not go into the wooded area. have suspected that raccoons have been going into the wooded area to feed because the feeding bowls are strawn every where when we return the next morning. my research about raccoon s tells me that raccoons can climb; will come out during daylight to feed where there is food.  this the first time I have trapped a raccoon at all..

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hope I am replying correctly to your post. am still learning how to reply to these posts.let me know if I REPYIED CORRECTLY OR NOT I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT FEEDING STATIONS BECAUSE SOME OF THE FERAL CATS will not go into the wooded feeding station even in daytime when the dishes are being filled. have reduced the dry food to one cup per bowl in the wooded area. am confused about  trying to tame two of the friedlier cats or not. please check out this article  I found and give me your opinion. catnipchronicles.com/may2012 (Socializing a Feral cat by   Laurie Goldstein)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You're replying perfectly, Eliza1050.

@LDG - Laurie has been on TCS for ages and is a font of wisdom. There's not a lot she doesn't know.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, and that you're frustrated about the lack of response.  I've had my hands full lately dealing with a situation of my own, which I posted a thread about a few days ago. My feral cat Muffin has been limping the past several days and I've been preoccupied with trying to figure out what's wrong and how to help him. I  haven't been on the forum as much lately because of this and other busyness other than to follow the situation another poster has been having with her very ill cat she just rescued, which I'm worried about, too.

I don't have time now to read the article you linked but will try to later.  I do want to mention that it's also possible that starlings are devouring all the food you're leaving out in the woods--they stick around a bit at dusk and come around just before daybreak, and can devour bowls of food in a matter of minutes. Today I purchased some super magnets and put them around my cat's food bowl because I heard that the magnets disrupt bird brain waves. I will let you know if it works in case that is one of the problems you're dealing with.  Opossums also eat cat food, so it's hard to know unless you catch sight of what is happening. Good luck. Many of us have had to deal with this exact situation that you are dealing with and we know how difficult it can be.   

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hope I am replying correctly to your post. am still learning how to reply to these posts.let me know if I REPYIED CORRECTLY OR NOT I HAVE TWO DIFFERENT FEEDING STATIONS BECAUSE SOME OF THE FERAL CATS will not go into the wooded feeding station even in daytime when the dishes are being filled. have reduced the dry food to one cup per bowl in the wooded area. am confused about  trying to tame two of the friedlier cats or not. please check out this article  I found and give me your opinion. catnipchronicles.com/may2012 (Socializing a Feral cat by   Laurie Goldstein)
As for the raccoons, they are a menace.  I find there is no way to keep them out of the cats food other than to not leave food out at night.  Since you are uncertain who is eating the food, have you considered getting a trail camera that would snap pictures when there is motion.  You can find them on Amazon.  They attach to a tree or post and use an micro SD card that you can then bring in and plug into your computer, digital camera or other device.  I have used one and they work very well.

As for the article on socializing, it is a very good article.  Lots of very good information. The first step is a vet visit to be sure they are spayed/neutered as well as all shots.  Second step is a safe room.  They can be together as long as they are friendly with each other.  This room must not have spaces where they can hide and you can't reach them.  Pick up beds/mattresses and block areas under and behind dressers or book cases.  Yet they do need a safe place to hide.  An old box turned on its side or a cat tree with a hiding box.  You will need at least 2 litter boxes.  Dr. Elsey's litter attract is great for cats not used to a litter box.  Feliway plugs ins to help them acclimate. 

Also a routine is a must.  Spend lots of time with them.  Bring a special treat each visit.  Sit only on the floor so that you are not looming over them.  Talk softly.  Leave a radio on while you are not there.  Also be sure all windows are closed so they can't escape. 

I brought a feral/stray cat into my home almost 2 years ago.  It  was a long process of socializing, but now he is a great loving cat. 

Thank you for caring for these sweet ones. 

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for your input and suggestions.you how when you ask   ten different people the same question about tameing a feral cat ,you get ten different yes/no answers. I do care about each every one of the feral cats and worry when I do not see them. plan to purchase a wild    life camera . feeding station  in the  bushes   is limited area and close to a parking lot. Missy is a female that has been     TNRd. she has been showing up at the feeding station in the bushes occasionly.she will show up in the evenings at my work place  and follow me to the dumpster to dump garbage. she only lets me touch her. on the days I am off , ,she will follow others to the dumpster but keeps her distance from them. she no longer interacts with the feral cats she grew up with. I can     borrow a taming cage . getting her in a carrier and into my car will  takes some  doing. have no room inside home for her. but want to tame her ;get her vaccinated; introduce her to the gang that sleeps in my garage at night. then eventually let her outside.

eliza1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have been giving the wooded area feeding station one cup per bowlo f dry food. because of the raccoons. have been giveing the bushes feedingst ation two cups dry food once daily. noticed that the bowls in the bushes were empty by 8PM AND SOME OF THE CATS WERE HANGING AROUND LI KE THEY WERE EXPECTING TO GET MORE FOOD. the feeder usually feed the cats in the mornings only.
Eliza1950.

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I deal with a colony feeding situation where I can't be there every day. It's too far from where I live, so I have to put out enough food for three days. I have a game camera, so I know I'm feeding some raccoons, too, but there's nothing I can do about it. I just put out enough food so that there's no competition. From the game camera, I know that the cats give the raccoons a wide berth.

The only other thing I can think of would be to stake out the feeding area at night when the raccoons show up and shoot them. Apologies in advance if that offends anyone.