Best Way To Control Litter Box Odor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have any tips in how to control litter box odor? I know the best way is to scoop twice a day, but when I come home from work in the evening at 7PM, my apartment reeks in foul odor and it's embarrassing when guests come over and I have to go over and scoop in front of them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I had quite good results when I added a couple nuggets of a store bought frozen raw food to the Big Guys regular diet every couple days. There've been a lot of folks who have reported the same thing, where the poo odor decreases a lot and even the quantity of poo becomes less.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mix baking soda in with the litter. It won't hurt your cats; it's cheap; and it absorbs odor. That reputation for absorbing odor is what Arm&Hammer is trying to play on with their premium priced litter; they don't want you to notice that you don't need a fancy name or any perfume at all. You also don't need name-brand baking soda, by the way; get the cheapest you can find, and buy extra when it's on sale.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An automatic or robot type litter box. I think they can be run on batteries if there isn't an electrical outlet nearby or you don't want to run an extension cord to the nearest one.

You can place charcoal-type odor absorbers near the litter box.

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment as well and often do not have the opportunity to scoop 2 times a day and sometimes even once a day. Basically I have developed a litter box using a lidded storage tote, cutting an entrance for the cat and an opening on the lid to accommodate the positioning of a MERV 10 air filter piece with a small box fan placed atop, drawing the odor causing bacteria out and through the filter (additionally this helps to remove any dust that may develop from the litter). For an added scent removal, if necessary, it is possible to add an air freshener to the box fan (the kind that a person would attach to the outgoing vent inside a car). Using a decent litter with the addition of baking soda is also a plus. This entire setup is somewhat simple and inexpensive and can be created in a short period of time with basic knowledge of common tools and measuring. The materials are easy to acquire and the litter box itself can be made attractive to any room by using stick-on wall paper or cabinet/drawer liner. Also if one has the inclination there are some nice spray paints available to apply to the litter box. Fairly cool setup in its basic form and advanced setups can be created.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type of litter are you using? and how many litter boxes? i find with my guys if there is another box or two they cover better, more clean real estate i guess :)

some litters in my opinion smell bad anyway. With clay litter i personally think Fresh step does the best job of keeping things nice smelling without overpowering in fragrance. I also like Dr. Elsey's respiratory relief silica gel, for no dust, and odor control. In the other natural litters i find that walnut litter is good for smell. Blue buffalo makes several, and i recently found a Litter Maid walnut litter at walmart that i like.

Food can also make a big difference in litterbox smells, what foods do you feed her? If two of my guys eat anything with many peas, you do not want to be in my house :)

Last edited: