Best way to clean ears?

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten (6 months) has dirty ears. She was an adopted kitty from our local animal shelter and wasn't in the cleanest of conditions. I won't go into how she smelled...but what's the safest (and easiest) way to this. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks! :)

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten (6 months) has dirty ears. She was an adopted kitty from our local animal shelter and wasn't in the cleanest of conditions. I won't go into how she smelled...but what's the safest (and easiest) way to this. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

If you see "dirt" in her ears, and especially after reading about the condition she was in when you got her, she most likely has ear mites. You will have to find some ear mite medication to treat that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Very possible. I have an appt set up for the baby later this week so I'll just talk to my vet. Thanks, I don't know why I didn't think of that ;)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you want to do something with her ears before you get her to the vet, do it very carefully and gently. Do not use cotton swabs. They can do too much damage. A soft cotton pad or cotton ball, dampened with plain warm water works well to clean the outer ear. Make sure you squeeze out all the water you can so you're not dripping it into her ears. Your vet can show you the best way to clean ears whether or not she has ear mites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keya smith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Went to the vet today and sure enough, she has ear mites. Poor thing! Starting her on 4 weeks (!) of ear drops, I feel for both of us ;) lol