best urine odor remover

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have discovered a spot in my family room that someone has begun using as a toilet. I don't know how long, but I can smell it when I get down close, but now far away, so I assume not very long. How do I get the smell out so the cats cannot smell it anymore? I am setting up the video camera as we speak to catch who it is. I'd actually like to catch who did it before I clean it thoroughly. Anyone have any favorite home remedies for cat pee? or particular products that work. I actualy already dumped an entire gallon of Simple Solution on it and let it sit overnight, but I can still smell it slightly if I stick my nose in the carpet

chinakit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never found anything better than Simple Solution, it smells wonderful! I believe biological washing powder is meant to do the job well, but have never tried it myself.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used the combination of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and a drop of dish soap. I am forgetting the ratio right now. 4 cups of peroxide, to 4 tablespoons of baking soda? I am not sure maybe someone will post it here, I got it here, search hydrogen peroxide. I also used petzyme from petsmart, not much difference, I don't think,

But, I think the answer is you have to do it consistantly. The smell comes back after a month or so, so you need to do it again, and of course no more pee. I did this in my computer room, and no cats in there without me, door is closed. Also, if your cat is using something other than the box, he probably has a problem. So that has to be fixed also, or you will never prevail. Fang no longer uses the rug, and the smell seems to be gone. might pop up again in the summer heat, at which time I will treat again.
I can't tell hyou how many times I have sprayed the stuff, let it soak, and blot it up.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I have discovered a spot in my family room that someone has begun using as a toilet. I don't know how long, but I can smell it when I get down close, but now far away, so I assume not very long. How do I get the smell out so the cats cannot smell it anymore? I am setting up the video camera as we speak to catch who it is. I'd actually like to catch who did it before I clean it thoroughly. Anyone have any favorite home remedies for cat pee? or particular products that work. I actualy already dumped an entire gallon of Simple Solution on it and let it sit overnight, but I can still smell it slightly if I stick my nose in the carpet
I only recently had to deal with this situation (after a lifetime of having cats, believe it or not!).

I tried the Simple Solution (specific to odors like urine, blood, feces, vomit). Not all the SS products cover this; some are just deoderizers, so you want to check that.

I didnt have a concentrated section of urine, like it sounds you may have--I had a few marking patterns on the back of a couch. But one soaking and the couch smells great (And I am hypersensitive to smells). I check and check and there has been no remarking, the cats sleep on the couch and it even feels softer!

I would say for more concentrated, repeated spots, you may need a few applications of the product. And for carpets, the directions make mention of soaking right to the back.

I also have Nature's Miracle but I dont' find it has the same efficacy/pleasant odor.

I hate to sound like a broken record (from other threads) but I would also try the Feliway spray and diffuser in that room. After you try cleaning it again, and it's dry, use the spray on the crime scene daily for a few weeks and plug in a diffuser in that room. THe combo effort of products might stop the activity altogether (though it could start up in another area if said cat is intent on behavior).

This sounds like improper elimination instead of marking so you may want to watch litter habits and see what's going on,(need another box maybe?) and get a vet check up to rule out any bladder issues.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I have used the combination of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and a drop of dish soap. I am forgetting the ratio right now. 4 cups of peroxide, to 4 tablespoons of baking soda? I am not sure maybe someone will post it here, I got it here, search hydrogen peroxide. I also used petzyme from petsmart, not much difference, I don't think,
I've used this mix too and it works great for a fraction of the cost. The ratio is 1cup peroxide to 1Tbs soda to 1drop soap You can increase this as necissary be sure to thoroughly soak the area. At first it may foam and bubble and that's normal. Actually, a spot test first is a good idea... but as the odor and urine dissapears the bubbling and foaming will decrease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
everyone has been vet checked. One of my cats is UTI prone, so I really can't figure out of this was him or someone else, but wayyy back when I had my first foster kitten, someone peed in that corner out of stress, but I thought I had gotten it cleaned, I guess not. But I'm also willing to bet that at some point, SOMEONE peed in the corner, for whatever reason, but now others have taken to doing it too because the smell is there.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My previous dog urinated on the carpet several times, her health was failing, she had a stroke and eventually we had to put her down, she could not walk, etc.

Anyway, I had to buy a gallon or more of vinegar (vet's choice) and dumped it on the carpet. Let is sit, and got the carpet cleaner out and it sucked up all the vinegar. Then I had to rinse out the carpet with plain water. Did this in the middle of hot summer, so it dryed out good--no smell at all.

mama cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know it sounds weird what I am going to say in despartiin and exspermenting I took these things my big Tom cat sp rates and put them in the sink and put tomato juice on them. Oh it drink at first and then it was gone. I have hesitated to use on carpet but figure if it took out skunk maybe it work on cat and it seemed to do it . Then I ran out of tomato sauce I put tomato soup on the stuff he sprayed . Hey it seemed to wi en . Wondering about using on carpet . If I do I will l at you know still desparated here to use som ething on urine in carpet car and kittens been ys ing my upstairs carpet for litter box and I am going nuts may have to try it. Soon . after I put to motor juice on the stuff I washed it in washer. I didnt smell it. But I not sure cats can't smell it.

mama cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really do believe oxy cleaan works. If they dontb repete it . And this man on u tube says he a carpet clean person clean up the urine with machine extracting it or with a towel and then used a syring and used the emzine stuff for cats .used the string to shoot in to carpet pad and carpet . This he says works haven't tried seen it in Amazon costly .

ernestade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat may be experiencing some serious urinary tract infection which cause them to pee on the carpets or elsewhere outside the litter box. There are wide variety of cleaning chemicals but it's better if you would use eco-friendly products to eliminate the stain and odor of cat pee and other unpleasant waste such as poop and vomit.