Best tips I have learned here and elsewhere...

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I just thought I would start a thread where those who have 'been there, done that' could pass along the information and experiences that have been most helpful:

I will start with a few and then perhaps others would like to offer some tips that they found particularly useful.

*** Weighing the kittens on a gram/ounce scale, at the same time, every day. IMO, this is such a great way to know how each one is doing. And you can easily spot one of the kittens lagging behind well before it causes a serious problem.

***This one is fairly obvious, but not something I really gave much thought until one of my cats had an emergency...putting my vets phone # in my cel phone address book. If you are in a hurry or panicked, it really helps to not have to search for their number.

I will add more later as I think of them. Anyone else have any tips that you found really came in handy with a pregnant cat or new litter?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Don't forget about Gaye's sticky at the top of this forum. It is loaded with useful information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL, I should have posted that one, as well as reading all of the other threads! Reading everyones personal experiences really helped me feel more prepared.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned that it is good to handle the kittens when young. I always thought you were supposed to be hands off for the first few weeks. I still don't handle them a lot, but my current kittens are almost 3 weeks old, and are generally comfortable being held and petted. In previous litters, they were still uncomfortable being held at this age.

And weighing them does provide an extra level of comfort...knowing you will catch it early if someone is lagging.

I think nutrition is very important. Be sure to feed the Mom kitten food throughout her pregnancy and nursing period.

And be aware that fleas and worms can kill a kitten by draining its strength. If you are allowing a pet to have a litter (which I disagree with), at least be sure she is up on her shots and free of fleas and worms going into the pregnancy. If it is an accidental litter, or you are fostering, work closely with your vet.

This is my favorite link from the stickies...
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80724

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I learned that cats can get pregnant again almost immediately after giving birth and that it is very important to keep the mom strictly indoors only until she is spayed.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poohandwendy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I learned that cats can get pregnant again almost immediately after giving birth and that it is very important to keep the mom strictly indoors only until she is spayed.

Katie
That is a good one. I didn't know that either when my cat was pregnant. It's a really, really important point because I think most people assume they could not go into heat while nursing...or that they would be so busy with their kittens that they would not be interested in mating.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's important new grandparents know that kittens should stay with momma until 12 weeks, not the 6-8 that is quite common.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep confined in a large cage or one room - that way you have everyone together and much easier to keep an eye on things

Have two pillowcases when giving birth. One filled with newspaper, one stuffed with a towel - the first one will absorb the blood, etc. when the kittens are being born. The second can be used after all kittens are born and you have a nice soft area for the kittens and they won't catch their little claws in the pillowcase.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wear an old t-shirt for a few days running until it gets all stinky and sweaty. use it to line the nest (if the mother wont be freaked out by ur smell), and the kittens will come to associate your scent with feeling comfortable and secure.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to have KMR kitten formula on hand before your queen delivers. Along with a few syringes, and kitten bottles!

And Pooh"s idea to weigh them is important, too.