Best preventative?

toulousesmomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! so i currently live in a large home with 12. yes. 12. cats. its hectic. we are the people our friends and family go to when they have a pet issue. we have taken in cats to foster that we just never were able to rehome so thats why we have so many. 

they are all cared for! regular yearly vet visits, good litter + lots of litter boxes, top quality food, toys and cat towers everywhere!

most of the cats we have go outside so obviously we have to keep up with flea and worm treatments. but i am trying to find the best flea, tick, and all wormer treatment! an all in one if possible. i used to use revolution but the cons of that revolution doesnt protect against ticks and you can only get it at the vet :/

right now we have sentry for fleas and ticks and then a pill for round and hook worms. but not heart or tape worms

with 12 cats, it gets expensive. and we are not rich by any sense of the word. we live paycheck to paycheck sometimes going without food ourselves so we can make sure the pets have everything they need. 

so if anyone knows of a good product for fleas ticks and all worms please comment! any suggestions would be helpful. if there isnt an all in one product, what products can be combined? 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest you try Frontline for fleas and ticks - because the ingredients are identical in the cat and dog versions, you can safely buy a large dog version, and will pay a fair bit less for the same dosage. Just get a small, needless syringe to accurately measure out the appropriate dose (0.5ml) for each cat ;)

I don't think there is a product that can treat both internal and external parasites, so you're probably stuck with using two products for the time being.

With any medication of this sort, you can often get better prices by shopping around online instead of buying from the vet. Given that you have 12 cats, it might be worth buying in bulk to get a better price - just check the expiration when ordering!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suggest you try Frontline for fleas and ticks - because the ingredients are identical in the cat and dog versions, you can safely buy a large dog version, and will pay a fair bit less for the same dosage. Just get a small, needless syringe to accurately measure out the appropriate dose (0.5ml) for each cat

I don't think there is a product that can treat both internal and external parasites, so you're probably stuck with using two products for the time being.

With any medication of this sort, you can often get better prices by shopping around online instead of buying from the vet. Given that you have 12 cats, it might be worth buying in bulk to get a better price - just check the expiration when ordering!
I was under the impression that Revolution (topical) was supposed to take care of fleas, parasites/worms.  Please advise

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just looked it up (I'm in the UK and it isn't available here, hence the confusion :doh3: ). You're absolutely right - Revolution does prevent certain worms too. As it's the same drug for both cats and dogs, the same trick I suggested with the Frontline might apply - get a large dog version, and accurately measure out and apply a cat dosage. In this case, you would give a HALF sized dose, as the large dog preparation is double the strength of the cat version. The full prescribing information is here.

In this case, PLEASE check with a vet before going ahead, as you need to be certain this plan is safe for your cats.

Explain that you're wanting to do the best thing for your clowder, but that you'd like to use this more economical approach if you can. A sympathetic vet should be happy to discuss pros and cons with you, and advise you appropriately :)

One again, sorry for the error on my part!

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Revolution is a preventive for fleas, flea eggs, heartworms, ear mites, roundworms and hookworms in cats. http://revolution4cats.com/
Thank you LTS 3.    Please advise, from that list you just gave, is there anything else out there that Revolution does not protect from??  That list is pretty extensive.

Columbine - My fault for not taking into account our members are from all around the world.  That is something I need to remember to consider when typing out suggestions.   Thanks for bringing that fact to my attention.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you LTS 3.    Please advise, from that list you just gave, is there anything else out there that Revolution does not protect from??  That list is pretty extensive.
 Revolution only treats those six parasites. If there are other parasites you are concerned that your cat may get (tapeworm, roundworm, giardia, etc), it's best to ask the vet what product would be best to treat those particular parasites. I'm not sure if you can give a cat two different parasite treatments at the same time. The vet would be the best person to ask.

Another brand of parasite preventative is Heartgard.  This prevents heartworm and hookworm.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fleas + Heartworm = Revolution

All other worms = Profender Allwormer (rubs on the back of the neck rather than orally which is a huge headache saver)