Best OTC GERD meds/acid prevenatives or reduces?? Need help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Do you think it's possible that because your stomach doesn't empty normally that some acid reducers are doing too much reducing(hypochlorhydria), leading to the vomiting?

Omeprazole and esomeprazole really aren't that different -look at the molecule models and formula. The very slight change let the drug company repatent for longer to make more money. Probably why if one doesn't work for you the other isn't helpful either.
Have you tried rabeprazole?
What local prescription plans are there in your state/local pharmacies? I could have sworn even walmart has one.

Btw, the bacteria bit was meant for Gail's problem. I don't think that's a major factor in your gastric problems since it's more of a function problem. And have you ever made a list of all your health problems, from minor to more major and looked for links between them, or had a doctor look?
I don't believe i've tried rabeprazole? What is it if you don't mind me asking? (i'm totally fine with generics!).

I've asked my GI doctor about the vomiting before- and he said it was a direct result of the GERD (i have a pretty severe case of it according to the doctor) so i don't know if it's a result of the medicine- i was vomiting badly before i ever started taking medicine to help.

Tonight i registered for "Together RX Access" - it's a card that you use at local pharmacies to get discounts on prescriptions/etc for free.
It should help with some things. The two main medications i take however aren't covered by it- but some other things are -so it will help in some way!

Walmart has the $4 generics- but the two main things i take are not available in a generic form.Walgreens is closer to me (down the street) and has 24 pharmacy service...so i'd prefer to keep my things there - but may wind up switching in the short term if walmart is drastically less expnsive.

My GI doctor and my primary care doctor have a list of all diagnosed issues. I hate to list them off for risk of sounding like i'm a hypocondriac...but all have been diagnosed through scopes/medical diagnosis,scans: Vertigo, IBS with diarrhea (spaztic colon), Gastroparesis, Hiatial Hernia, GERD, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrom) - Insulin Resistance as a result of the PCOS issues. I have Asthma as well but it's really well right now- i don't have to take anything for it aside from a rescue inhaler once in a blue moon- so it's not an issue right now.

My main issues are GI problems and they're all somewhat related. The only things that really bother me are the GI issues- because it's a daily issue- every day my stomach is bothering me and i have constant reflux issues w/o my medicine. The insulin resistance (as a result of PCOS) is directly tied into the Gastroparesis - i'm VERY VERY careful about my diet nowdays because my risk for being a diabetic when i get older are huge- so i'm trying to eat very healthy to prevent this. Since i can't take medicine for all my GI issues (it would help some while making others worse according to my doc)- i only take medicine for the GERD. So to help out in other ways- i exercise regulary, try to maintain a healthy weight, and i cook most meals at home and try to be careful (aside from the occassionaly chocolate binge
about what i eat. The more i can do on my own healthy diet wise- the more i'd like to stay away from taking too many medications...but for the GERD -i honestly need it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I don't believe i've tried rabeprazole? What is it if you don't mind me asking? (i'm totally fine with generics!).
Just another proton pump inhibitor. Not sure about brand names, but you could always ask your doctor about other medicines available (-maybe once you have insurance?)

Tonight i registered for "Together RX Access" - it's a card that you use at local pharmacies to get discounts on prescriptions/etc for free.
It should help with some things. The two main medications i take however aren't covered by it- but some other things are -so it will help in some way!
Every little bit helps, and hopefully you get that card in soon.

My GI doctor and my primary care doctor have a list of all diagnosed issues. I hate to list them off for risk of sounding like i'm a hypocondriac...
You don't sound like one, there are quite a few other people on here with multiple health problems (who certainly never asked for them).
Maybe consider signing up to specific health forums, usually the awareness/association type sites have up to date newsletters with recent research news. It doesn't hurt to be aware, and you have the best tool for that right in front of you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just another proton pump inhibitor. Not sure about brand names, but you could always ask your doctor about other medicines available (-maybe once you have insurance?)

Every little bit helps, and hopefully you get that card in soon.

You don't sound like one, there are quite a few other people on here with multiple health problems (who certainly never asked for them).
Maybe consider signing up to specific health forums, usually the awareness/association type sites have up to date newsletters with recent research news. It doesn't hurt to be aware, and you have the best tool for that right in front of you.
Thank hon!
You've been soo helpful! I appreciate it.

I have joined two groups in the past few months for PCOS awareness (and all that goes along with it- fertility forums, insuline resistance/etc) and i've been able to learn a little more online about that particular issue. I tried calling my doctor a few weeks back to see if there was a group of people that have a local meeting regurally, but there are none to my knowledge. I was thinking about starting up my own PCOS awareness group locally for women who have it, but it would be months before i'd be able to do so with soo much going on right now. It would be nice though to meet others with it.

I'm planning to start fertility treatments if need be after we're married in March, so the more knowledge i have on the topic the better

As far as GERD and my other GI issues go -i will look for a good medical website to get some more info from and see if they have a reputable forum
It might help!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have GERD, IBS w/diarrhea, gastritis and Diabetes. So I have to be extra careful with everything that goes into me.

Since I got pregnant and Im now nursing the only thing Ive been able to take is Zantac which BTW does nothing at all. But is the only thing my doctor is allowing me to take right now.

He's taken me off everything else and Ive been really sick since Beginning of October. Im just dealing with it and forcing myself to continue eating even though it makes me sick.

I think I might end up weaninging early because I cant handle it much longer. I dont have any advice since Zantac isnt working. Do you know anyone who is a nurse or a doctor as a personal friend? I have a very close friend who gets me samples when I cant afford to pay for my regular meds.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm planning to start fertility treatments if need be after we're married in March, so the more knowledge i have on the topic the better
Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do... But don't you think it might be best to get the GERD under control and the hernia fixed before adding more stress to your body? That sounds like something that could make you very miserable if you were dealing with it while pregnant.

Fostermomm - That sounds awful.
Forcing yourself to eat when everything causes pain and nausea is no fun. I hope your able to find some relief soon.

Back on the subject of OTC brand name acid reducers - They really try to get as much money from you as they can, don't they? Generic prescription would be cheaper to regularly buying OTC.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not that I'm trying to tell you what to do... But don't you think it might be best to get the GERD under control and the hernia fixed before adding more stress to your body? That sounds like something that could make you very miserable if you were dealing with it while pregnant.
That concern has already been addressed with my GI doctor and my OBGYN. There is nothing that they can do surgically as i've mentioned before about my GI issues, because the GERD surgery will make my gastroparesis worse as well as some of my other problems- so it's really "pick and choose what to treat" The doctors choose to treat the GERD as it is what bothers me the most. The IBS is a daily battle too- but i can't take anything for the ibs with diarreah as i have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) so it causes a "dumping synromde" - my body takes longer to empty waste, but when it happens it happens all at once and is very painful/makes me quite sick. If i take IBS meds it will only make the other issue worse and vise versa.

So as far as that goes- there is nothing else really they can do. The Zegarid helps with the hernia (at least according to the doctor
Not sure how it works!) and it's a farily small one, so having surgery is not something i'm willing to do as the hernia doesn't bother me much- just the GERD. The GI doctor seconds that.

We've already had talks about how to treat my GI symptoms when we try to get pregnant- i will have to stay on prescription meds since mine gerd is soo bad- but depending on the medication- the risk to the baby is pretty slim so it should be ok.

Thankyou for your concern though

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take Rabeprazole my brand is called Pariet , it does wonders for me. It is prescription, it cost about $ 45 a month where I live, I have acid reflux , and severe ulcers, caused by a medication called Toradol, that was prescribed for a back injury.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news

I called my GI doctor's office today to request some samples (i'm friends with his nurse, so i explained the situation to her and she relayed it to him.) They are getting some samples of my medication in on Monday, so after work Mon or on my day off on Tues if they close before i can get there....i'm going to go pick up my samples
They said i could use them as long as i need to, so that is such a blessing!!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Good news

I called my GI doctor's office today to request some samples (i'm friends with his nurse, so i explained the situation to her and she relayed it to him.) They are getting some samples of my medication in on Monday, so after work Mon or on my day off on Tues if they close before i can get there....i'm going to go pick up my samples
They said i could use them as long as i need to, so that is such a blessing!!
That is wonderful news,

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I take Rabeprazole my brand is called Pariet , it does wonders for me. It is prescription, it cost about $ 45 a month where I live, I have acid reflux , and severe ulcers, caused by a medication called Toradol, that was prescribed for a back injury.
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

That is wonderful news,
Thankyou!
I am soo relieved about it. I was really worrying for a while there what i was going to do. I missed a dose last night and now my throat is insanely raw from all the acid that kept comming back up in my throat last night. It hurts everytime i swallow.

I am soo greatful they are going to give me some extra samples though.
It will really help! I was going to ask him about the rabeprazole suggestion- but since he's going to give me samples to get me through april when i need them, i'd rather not switch meds if i don't have to. We'll see though! I'm glad your medication is helping you- that is great!