Best low-carb venison?

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have two cats, siblings (Fig and Apple). Both of my cats have IBD. One (Apple) has diabetes. I have to feed Apple a low-carb diet. Right now, they're both on Royal Canin:

Fig -- venison
Apple -- rabbit

Apple does ok with the rabbit, but her stools are very soft and she gets a messy bottom. I want to put her back on venison, which she did better with, but Royal Canin's venison is too high in carbs. Ideally, I'd get them both on a low-carb venison so that they're eating the same food.

Does anyone use a low-carb venison they like? They can't do anything with mixed proteins (pork, mussels). It has to be straight venison.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also note that I've seen the chart with carb percentages that everyone shares in the diabetes forum. But I'm really looking for recommendations based on whether or not you've tried something. Specifically, I want to know if you're using anything you like that is consistent over time and available (doesn't run out like a lot of venison cat foods).

Thanks again!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats simply LOVE venison dinner by Kiwi, but it's ridiculously expensive to me so they get it only as a special treat, for birthdays or when we go for longer holidays etc. If you can afford it, it's probably the best. ZiwiPeak is also loved but again, expensive plus they add chickpeas to their recipe and I'm not paying for that.
One of my cat simply loves venison beyond anything else, unfortunately not a lot of options and certainly nothing cheap.

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! Do you mean Ziwi? Yes, I've looked at that. Unfortunately, it has mussels in it. So not just venison.

It's really difficult to find a single-protein food (not poultry) that's also low carb.

The search continues!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone use a low-carb venison they like? They can't do anything with mixed proteins (pork, mussels). It has to be straight venison.
Have you looked at limited ingredient type diets? I posted links to some here: Cat not interested in hypoallergenic food? Koha used to have a venison stew but it has been discontinued.

My IBD cat occasionally eats the leftover Nature's Variety Original venison that my other cat eats. It doesn't affect his IBD but he's also not eating much, just crumbs and liquid. The NV does contain pork liver.

How about these?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does it have to be venison? How about lamb? You may have more options with lamb, eg Hound&Gatos, Feline Natural, even very attractively priced Redbarn Lamb (although I’m sorry, I don’t know if they have mussels as well...)

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your suggestions! The Lotus one looks great. The LID one has 20% carbs, which is too high for a diabetic cat. :(

I don't know about other meats. We know venison works for both of them, so I think we're just so nervous to try anything else. The terror of having two IBD cats. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also, check this chart out:

You can filter the chart by whatever ingredient(s) you are looking for / omitting / etc.

Rabbit is usually a good choice for IBD cats. My IBD cat will eat anything (bison, venison, quail, pork, etc) but his main diet is rabbit, because it's the only protein available for the commercial raw food he eats and that my other picky cat will also eat.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I was also thinking that maybe if you stay with rabbit but switch to a better brand than Royal Canin, Apple’s stool will be better... one of the best rabbit cans on the market is Rawz, they also don’t have any gums. They will send you samples if you ask them for it.
GOod luck!

MargaretGee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! What a great tool. I appreciate your responses. It's been really tough having a diabetic IBD cat who can't eat a lot of proteins. Onward!