Best litter to use with Littermaid

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am a faithful user of Littermaid for 3 years now. I love it, even though it has plenty of flaws.
I am looking for the best litter to use with it.

I have tried Worlds Best Cat litter, and it worked really great, but with how expensive it is, I cannot keep on buying it.
I was trying to find chicken feed in the area, but to no avail.

Right now, I use Tidy Cats, with red top and handle, and it works so-so.

I think the biggest issue is that, the litter doesn't have a chance to harden all the way before it racks.
So that is why it sticks to the rack, and such. Worlds Best dried faster and therefore had far less problems.

I am wondering what everyone uses with theirs.
I am not looking for advice to purchase another brand of litter box, as mine works, and I do not plan on replacing it until it breaks.

Thanks in advance!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey! I JUST got my new litter maid and I was wondering the same thing. Plus, I'm on a student budget...so IDK where a good medium is. Right now I have the generic Publix brand of litter...not so great...I mean, the solid waste usually just sticks to the scoopers after the first scoop, but goes into the waste holder after another one or two scoops, when it's dried more.
But for the pee, it just makes a bunch of moist litter mess

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use cats pride. Walmart and HEB (a grocery chain in San Antonio) sells it here. It's pretty cheap it runs about 6.79 for a 14lb container. I've tried other brands and they don't work as well. I use the one for multicats (I've got 6 cats.) but tried their regular scoopable and it didn't work as well.

Here's the website http://www.catspride.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is the list that I found of litter that Littermaid recommends for their boxes:

* LitterMaidâ„¢ Premium Clumping Cat Litter
* World's Best Cat Litter
* Arm & Hammer Super Scoop
* Fresh Step Scoopable
* Ever Clean Scoop Away

LitterMaidâ„¢ Premium Clumping Cat Litter and World's Best Cat Litter are both corn and expensive, but probably work about the same. (I only had experience with Worlds Best)

I know for a fact Arm & Hammer Super Scoop is so-so. Fresh Step Scoopable is scented only, no unscented version, so a no for this household.

I will be looking into Ever Clean Scoop Away and Cats Pride (ty LotsO'Cats).

Any more opinions will be much appreciated!!

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Fresh Step Scoopable is scented only, no unscented version, so a no for this household.
Fresh Step does have an unscented version-it's called Fresh Step Free Scoopable..no dyes or perfumes.
It was $11.50 for a 31 lb bucket at Walmart.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ExoticBabee

Fresh Step does have an unscented version-it's called Fresh Step Free Scoopable..no dyes or perfumes.
It was $11.50 for a 31 lb bucket at Walmart.
Really?
Thats great! How does it work in Littermaid?

Thanks!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
bump.
Any littermaid owners care to share?

murrellhb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently replaced my old littermaid with a new one a couple of months ago. The old one worked much better. I found with new one that the clay litter would get mushy and stick to the bottom of the tray. And when it scooped it would grab a lot of clean litter and push it into the receptacle wasting a lot of litter. So I switched over to the Esquiscat Crystal clumping litter that is soft on paws. I also sprayed the bottom of the tray with non stick spray. That seems to help. Not as much urine smell (although there is a newer different smell) and it seems to rake ok. Sometimes if you let the litter get too low it will stick to the bottom but is easily scraped off, but the lower it gets, once again it pushes clean litter into the receptacle as well, but not as bad as clay litter. Tracking with the clay litter was a nightmare and there is some tracking with the crystals but not as bad. Also I just bought a bad of the Blue walnut litter that someone told me about. I will try that next. I hear it doesn't track at all. I wish I had taught her to use the toilet when she was a kitten...now she's 17 and I'm not going to try and teach anything. lol

vgaither

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have used Scoop Away, but stopped because of the CLOUDS of dust that filled the air.  But, it worked pretty well with the Littermaid,

I have used Tidy Cat which worked OK, but got so I could not stand the odor of it any longer.

I have tried Precious Cat ($16 for 40 lbs) from Amazon but, it's too heavy to carry around. It's delivered to your door, but I have to get it down to the basement - it's just too heavy for me.  And it changed,so wasn't working as well.

I've tried so many kinds of kitty litter.

I switched about a year ago to Clump & Seal and have been extremely happy with it except for the cost until the last couple of months.  It has started turning into a gloppy, sticky, icky mess on the rake. So much so that I have broken a couple of scoops trying to clean it off.  I complained to the company but have not heard back from them.  It's also very expensive.

I am at a loss as to what to use now...I HATE cleaning the kitty potty but it is necessary if you have cats.  It should not be this hard to find a dependable, affordable kitty litter!