Best Litter for odors

msujohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just adopted a 10 week kitten last week (Gizmo) and are still learning the ropes. I'm interested in finding out what is the best litter to use that will control the smell/odor? We are currently using Exquisicat litter (bought it at PetSmart) and it doesn't seem to do the trick. We do clean the litter box once or twice a day. All of the kittens movements look normal (so it's not an issue with that).

Can someone recommend a better litter for me to try?

I've read that we should use unscented and clumping litter? Is that correct?

Should we make sure it is carbon activated?

Will I run into any issue when I try to change out the litter?

In case it matters we are feeding a high quality dry food - Blue Wilderness and have started to introduce some wet food as well (blue wilderness and wellness core) - all no grain foods.

We are currently using a litter box that is covered (bought at Petsmart as well) - we need the cover on it to keep our dog away from it.

Also how are the automated litter box that sweep away every time your cat uses it? Are they worth the money?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I use World's Best Cat Litter. It's all natural, corn based. It's not very dusty at all (most litters are, that I've tried at least), it's also flushable. I don't smell anything from the litter, and it clumps nicely. I also find it does not stick to the sides or bottom of the box.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FreshStep was the Only litter that worked when I still lived with my mom, so I've stuck with it since then.

Unscented and NON-clumping for kittens.

I've heard carbon is better than baking soda but I'm not sure.

As long as it has the same texture, I think you'll be fine.

You are feeding a great diet so no worries there.

As long as it's big enough, covered should be fine.

I've heard mixed results with auto boxes. They seem to clean really well, but some cats are afraid of them.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swheat Scoop Multicat.

Says right on the label that it is safe for very young kittens, and is literally just made of wheat so has no harmful dust (or much dust at all for that matter) and can be flushed down the toilet and biodegrades 100%. Great odor absorbing thanks to natural enzymes and has a more pleasant smell than World's Best IMO and is less expensive in the 40lb bags at Petsmart. World's Best tracks less and is considerably faster clumping, but if you let the wee sit for 10 mins, either one is solid as a rock so no worries.

If you have a spare closet, you can turn that into a litter closet by using a template to cut a small opening in the door (used to have a cat door, but found it unnecessary). Keep a can of Oust in there (great odor neutralizer) and give a spray each time you change the litter, and there should be no way that litter smell will permeate through the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msujohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the info. I will be looking into these. So I won't have any issues when I change out the litter? Should I just do it slowly and mix them for a while?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by msujohn

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking into these. So I won't have any issues when I change out the litter? Should I just do it slowly and mix them for a while?
I'd change it slowly. add a little of the new litter each time you need a refill until eventually it's all new. Gives the kitty a chance to get used to the feel and smell of new litter

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find Tidy Cat to be the best. I have 11 cats, and no one would ever know 1 cat lives here, much less 11.

Even though they say flushable, I would be very careful about flushing litter. You can get one of those step on garbage cans that seal with a rubber ring when closed. IMO better for the plumbing!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only been flushing the stuff for a year, but I heard of Swheat Scoop from a coworker w/ a bunch of cats, and he's been flushing for years without issue. Even if you don't flush though, at least it will biodegrade at the dump and is renewable. Clay never will, and are typically sourced from strip mining operations that turn pretty big stretches into deserts.

There's also controversy of whether or not sodium bentonite in clay coats the intestinal lining when licked off fur and feet and lungs when the dust is inhaled which can reduce lung effectiveness (similar to tar and smoking) and reduce digestive effectiveness and waste elimination.

Its a mild effect if it exists with very few cases of reported toxicity actually being the cause of death as they'd have to consume quite a bit, but there is quite a bit of information out there, and smoking doesn't instantly kill you either, its just not great for your body.
Originally Posted by Draco

I'd change it slowly. add a little of the new litter each time you need a refill until eventually it's all new. Gives the kitty a chance to get used to the feel and smell of new litter
Or if you have more than one box, put one with the new, leave the other with the old. As soon as they use the new one a couple times, you can toss the old.

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you may be a good person to ask. Is it uncommon to have to clean boxes twice a day? I was really hoping to do it once a day, but my Teenager 7 mo old Cookie seems to suggest that is not enough. Also, she and her odler roommate of 9 months seem to poop and pee a lot. Not a huge amount, but maybe ten pieces a day between them. It probably weighs 3 pounds 2-3 bponds. Occasionally they do not bury the poop which can smell. I have been feeding Science Diet dry and wet I/D.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a fan of science diet, and the amount of filler may be causing excessive deification. A quality rich grain-free food should improve digestibility and allow less to be eaten, which results in less poo.

Cats do not need to bury urine for odor absorption to work, but if they don't bury their poo, it doesn't matter what litter you use, its not going to do anything.

Luckily mine create huge mountains on top of their poop, so I don't have any smell.

It is important that the litter is deep enough, at least 2 inches.

I typically only empty my litterbox once a day. I have two cats, and four litterboxes (two per closet), so if one or two of the litterboxes are not to their satisfaction, they can use another that is fresh.

Its generally recommended to have as many litterboxes as you have cats + 1. So two cats, three litterboxes.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by msujohn

Also how are the automated litter box that sweep away every time your cat uses it? Are they worth the money?
You've gotten plenty of good answers to your questions but I'll answer this one for you
First off, I use Fresh Step for Multiple Cats. It's okay and does a fine job. I do not like the dust from it when I change, or just add litter to the boxes but that is the only draw back. I keep the litter about 2 in. deep and scoop all 4 boxes daily.

I made an impulse buy on the Littermaid Elite Mega: http://www.amazon.com/LitterMaid-Eli...6505240&sr=8-2

It does not show it in the link but mine came with a black cabana for the top and a huge litter mat to set the box on. I've had it about a year and a half and on a scale of 1-10 I would rate it at 5. It advertises as suitable for large, or multiple cat households. I have 4 cats. I spend as much time scooping it as I do my other boxes because the rake will get stuck and not be able to scoop the litter when there are large clumps. Also, if you put in even a little bit too much litter the rake will stick. It is also very noisy but on the plus side you can program it to scoop at certain times. So if your home is smallish, you can program it to go on during the day and it will turn itself off at night. I find myself continuously having to clean the rake. To me, it is more trouble than it is worth and I'm going back to a regular covered box soon. I think if I just had 1 or 2 cats I would love it but with 4 I don't like it too much. Just my 2 cents

catzinvegas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the Arm & Hammer litter. It says it controls urine and feces smell. So far, I like it!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem w/ Arm and Hammer though is that its known to dry out kitty toes.

If you keep the humidity low in the home or its winter, and you have a lot of tile, the arm and hammer litter can cause the pads to crack so check for dry tootsies.

carousel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All right - I used the Sweat Scoop in both litter boxes (cleaned them completely before changing over). My guys have never objected to new litter, so no problem there.

We have our house on the market and we MUST have odor control a top priority! So far, the Sweat Scoop isn't cutting it!

Any other suggestions for a better odor control? I was concerned about tracking and dust too, but the odor control is the greatest concern.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got one of the best litters for odor absorbing, already using a hooded litterbox which helps, and already using quality food.... hmmm.

How many inches deep is the litter in the litterbox? Are they not burying their poo enough?

You could place an odor absorbing gel on top of the litterbox, just try to avoid heavy fragrance ones. Oust air-sanitizer is also the best I've seen so far, as it has a high quantity of triethylene glycol which is great for killing odors and airborne bacteria. The whole area can be sprayed shortly before guests arrive, and rather than overpower the odor it actually neutralizes it and it will NOT smell like you sprayed something around five minutes after spraying unlike many other products. ZEP I believe makes a commercial version w/ a slightly lower concentration of active ingredient that Home Depot carries.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carousel

All right - I used the Sweat Scoop in both litter boxes (cleaned them completely before changing over). My guys have never objected to new litter, so no problem there.

We have our house on the market and we MUST have odor control a top priority! So far, the Sweat Scoop isn't cutting it!

Any other suggestions for a better odor control? I was concerned about tracking and dust too, but the odor control is the greatest concern.
I guess you could try one of those sprinkle on odor control powders or gels that are out there. I've already mentioned I used Fresh Step Multiple Cat litter. I've had people ask me how many cats I have. They are always surprised when I say 4 because they claim there is no cat odor in the house. <shrug> FWIW. I'm really particular about pet odors also. Sounds like you're scooping and cleaning the boxes okay. Does Sweat Scoop make a multi-cat litter? If so, it might have more odor control than the original.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop and Litter Maid Natural Zeolite Deodorizer It smells the best, isn't super strong, and seems to help with odors.

Sorry to hijack: But has anyone tried the Petco brand corn based litter?? The reviews weren't great due to dust but its alot cheaper and not clay
I'm going to continue SS for now since I'm almost at my Buy 12 GOFree
But just curious...

and yes, Swheat Scoop makes a multi-cat version