Best litter for odor control with multiple cats?

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like Arm & Hammer Multi-cat. It comes in 40 lb boxes and I have had zero odor problems. It even works if I don't scoop daily, and I never totally clean out a box unless it get really bad which isn't often since they go through it quickly enough(3 cats 3 boxes) that the new stuff quickly replaces the old stuff. I have only had to do it once since all the cats moved in and that was with cheap-o crappy cat litter where the clumps just broke apart anything you scooped. I know this prolly makes me look like a horrible person but I see no need unless it's getting stinky. I also transfer the litter into a scooping litter box so I can do cleanups of the box if they are gross.

I have never done total box cleanouts, most cats go throught the old stuff quickly enough that it replaces it with all new stuff anf the new stuff gets mixed in with the old anyways. If I had odor problems then I would do it. The cats don't mind and as I said there is no cat smell in here.

Taryn

lawguy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been using Fresh Step Multicat Scoopable. It works in my auto litterbox and works well for manual scooping like I have to do while I'm away from home with my furry pals like now.

Excellent odor control. Even the regular Fresh Step works well, but the Multi-Cat just has that little extra strength. I had tried a number of other litters before, including Arm & Hammer, Dr. Elsey's, and a bunch more that I can't even remember the names of. I'm sold on Fresh Step Multi-cat. I didn't like the texture of some of the other ones and felt that the cats felt similarly. Ally started with Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract, so she was used to fine particle litter rather than large chunky litter. I found that some litters had a mix of fine particles and chunky particles (particularly Arm & Hammer) and I didn't like that. Fresh Step is more uniform.

My only complaint is that I wish they would process it an additional step so that it is dust free too. Pouring it in the litter box makes a little cloud of dust form. If they fixed that, it would be the perfect litter.

However, if odor control is all you desire, the Arm & Hammer multi-cat is excellent too. I just prefer Fresh Step multi-cat.

alicatjoy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using Tidy Cats: Instant Action clumping litter since last year and have had no issues with it. I have 4 cats and 6 litter boxes and have no problem with odor control or mess. There is a slight "fresh" scent to it, but it isn't overpowering and even I, being a person with asthma and allergies, am not bothered by it.

I never was someone who liked scoopable litter, but regular clay litter was out of the question due to allergies. I've tried the wood pellet litter and found the sawdust left behind after getting wet to be impossible to work with. And, I wasn't impressed with the odor control they provided at all. I did use Yesterday's News for a long time, but the odor control was nearly non-existent and I found it to be wasteful since I'd have to completely change the litter either daily or every other day. I've also used Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter and was unimpressed by the odor control. World's Best Cat Litter was also a no go, but because my cats would not use it. Special Kitty and Fresh Step were both way too dusty for my likes, but I did like the Arm and Hammer litter -- especially the one marketed for multiple cats. I would totally recommend the Arm and Hammer and would use it myself, but it is more pricey than the Tidy Cats and not as readily available to me.

I should mention that I scoop a minimum of 3 times per day. The dirty litter goes straight into a plastic grocery bag (double bagged) and then into a sealed Rubbermaid container. I change the bag in the container every day. I also do a complete litter change every 7 days and scrub the boxes and let them air out for a week. I have a second set that's available when the others are getting cleaned. Just those small changes have helped make my home smell better and be more sanitary -- for both myself and the kitties.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are also using the wood stove pellets. Only once in awhile if they have gone close together will it smell. But the pellets break down quickly and absorb the odors. I won't go back to clay or scoopable litters any more.

The pellets are cheap too; $5 for 40 lb bag. If you do switch to the pellets, you have to first mix them into the scoopable litter and as you clean the box out, keep adding more pellets till its all pellets. Otherwise, they will not know its litter if you just dump in the pellets.

I was lucky when we got Jack - his breeder already was using the pellets (many breeders are doing that now) and he used his pan right away. I do have some scoopable in case the next Ocicat is not used to pellets.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Special Kitty both the green and orange boxes (I mix them up in a big tupperware container) those two seem to work good for my three. I have two big litter boxes and one small one go figure the biggest cat likes to use the smallest litter box..LOL...Ive also found a litter thats scoopable and cheap at the local tractor supply that provides adequate odor control however I dont like how all the pee piles seem to stick to the litter box more than the Special Kitty litter. So for me I vote special kitty either green or orange boxes.

lovemahkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just to add a little tip to my earlier post... I buy my litter (Fresh Step - Perfume & Dye Free) in the big plastic recyclable tub w/lid. Once empty, I line the tub with a plastic grocery store bag and keep it near the litter boxes.

The daily 'scoopings' go into the lined tub, which is kept lidded. There is no smell. I take the bag out of the tub once per week, on trash night, and put a fresh bag in it. This saves daily trips to the trash (which for us is far from the litter boxes).

washu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what works for me, might not work for other people. I have 4 cats, and 3 litter boxes. I know the rule is 1 box per cat, plus 1 extra. I just don't have very much space for that many boxes, so the boxes I have are very large. I'd say they hold enough litter to fill 5 boxes. I use Dr Elsey's Precious Cat litter. I scoop once a day, and add a few cups of litter to each box once a week, and once a month I'll dump the boxes and wash them out. The only time I have any issues is when it's really humid and the clumps don't dry out enough and fall apart. I can't use any scented litter or dusty litter because my rats have sensitive respiratory systems.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 11 cats and only 6 litter boxes. i have the jumbo petco brand ones that are beige colored and have no lid. They're great. I scoop daily and dump and scrub once a month. Like someone else said, i know the rule is one per cat plus one, but I've been lucky to have no litter box issues thus far. Everyone goes in the box. I never have any odor whatsoever, unless you happen to be standing in the laundry room at the exact moment someone goes. I foster also, so I have people at my house all the time meeting and adopting, and most people are very surprised when they learn I have 11 cats in my house, and most comment on how good it smells.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kit E Cat

I have 11 cats and only 6 litter boxes. i have the jumbo petco brand ones that are beige colored and have no lid. They're great. I scoop daily and dump and scrub once a month. Like someone else said, i know the rule is one per cat plus one, but I've been lucky to have no litter box issues thus far. Everyone goes in the box. I never have any odor whatsoever, unless you happen to be standing in the laundry room at the exact moment someone goes. I foster also, so I have people at my house all the time meeting and adopting, and most people are very surprised when they learn I have 11 cats in my house, and most comment on how good it smells.
What litter are you using?

silverstone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We always used Fresh Step at my house growing up but, I think it's because it was available in bulk at Costco. I've read good things online about the Breeze system. Have you tried that one? It's made by Tidy Cat.

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

What litter are you using?
I usually use Tidy Cats in the blue bucket, but this past time I got Fresh Step from Sam's and it works just as well, although I like the consistency of the Tidy Cat's better.

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For me the best long term solution was to change the cats' diet. Switched to raw, AMAZING results. Not only does the poop smell a LOT less, you can't really smell it unless you're close, but there is generally a LOT less in terms of volume too!!