Best litter for 3 week old kittens

maichelle1996

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to introduce the litter pan to my kittens and all I can find online is not to use clumping litter but there is no suggestions on what brand is good for kittens. I have a bag of yesterday's news but my cat refuses to use it so I doubt the kittens will either. Can anyone give me a suggestion on what brand of cat litter is good for kittens that's not clumping

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I am training new kittens, I dont start at three weeks, I wait until they are starting to eat solid food and thus will be creating solid poops.  They are going to try to eat the litter anyhow (which is why you don't use clumping litter) so a good thing to start with is just plain sand, like beach sand.  If you buy sandbox sand, make sure it isn't treated with anything because they will probably eat some of it.  When kittens first start being aware of their eliminations, they tend to go into corners, so I always put tiny boxes in all the corners, filled with sand.  You can use the cardboard trays from canned cat food and throw them away frequently, or get the very small ones at Walmart (they cost about $1.99 each).  If you don't put boxes in the corners, you can just about count on some kittens peeing and pooping there.  Once they are in the habit of using the boxes, you can slowly transition to clay litter (still not clumping) if you like, but don't use clumping until you are sure they are no longer eating litter at all, not even off the bottoms of their feet.

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Red Top Rescue,

I've been saving small boxes (a stray had 3 kittens in my apartment 3 weeks and 4 days ago). I bought Swheat Scoop to try, do you think that will be safe for the kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is it non-clumping litter? If so, it will be fine! [emoji]128571[/emoji]