Best Kitten Food?

KC14

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a kitten 3 days ago and have decided to keep him. His name is Leo and the vet thinks he's about 6 weeks old, almost 7. I've never had a kitten before and am unsure of what to feed him? I have Purina kitten dry food and Special kitty kitten wet food right now. Leo doesn't really seem to like the dry food but loves the wet food? Is that common with kittens? Does anyone have any brand recommendations that are affordable?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food is easier for kittens to eat so it is common for very young ones to go for it. They also have an extremely low thirst drive at that age so wet food keeps them hydrated.

Any food labeled kitten is better then an adult one. Ideally you should look for one with the highest protein percentage and named meats.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, you should feel your little kitten wet food so he can get all of that protein and fat that he needs to grow big and strong. Named meats ideally as the first ingredient, little to no grains are ideal. If you're on a budget I recommenced Fancy Feast (they have a kitten variety) but I would stick the pates. A higher end brand I like is Nutro or Weruva.

Congrats on your new kitten!

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Concatulations on adopting a new kitten! Leo is a good name for him.

At 6-7 weeks old kittens need to only eat wet food anyway. It is good he does not like kibbles. They don't have enough animal protein for any cat, especially kittens.

All kittens up to one year require more protein than adults. If a can label says "for all life stages" that means you double the amount of food to feed him. It would be much easier to buy food that is specifically for kittens (and probably cheaper too). Quality is about recipes only using natural ingredients with nutritional value.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, ditto to all of the above! When I was feeding kitten food, I stuck to Fancy Feast. He should be reaching the age soon that he can move to "All Stages" food and then you'll have a wider variety of foods you can feed. Personally I really love Merrick, Halo and Whole Earth Farm brands.