Best kitten dry food?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks (: I noticed the ingredients seem better though that's why I went for this one.
You are right. I just read the ingredients again for Friskies Poultry platter vs. Authority chicken. Authority's ingredients do look better. Good choice.

How did Mittens like it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are right. I just read the ingredients again for Friskies Poultry platter vs. Authority chicken. Authority's ingredients do look better. Good choice.
How did Mittens like it?
She seemed to love it but I mixed it with her dry she did not complain one bit (:

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did Mittens like it?
I also noticed friskies first ingredient was meat by products and I was like oh I've read that's not good.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By-products in a wet foods aren't all bad. Some of the most nutritious parts of the animal are considered by-products (liver, kidney, spleen, brain, etc.). By-product MEAL is best avoided, though, as they're allowed to use dead-on-arrival or diseased animals in it (with the assumption that the rendering process that makes it into meal will kill the germs :/). By-product meal is usually in dry foods but you have to watch out because I've seen some canned foods with "meal", too. It's best to see a "real" meat listed before the by-products, though, which is why we recommend Poultry Platter--it's the only flavor with a named meat listed before the by-products. But I will buy other flavors with by-products listed first, as long as there's some named meat listed too.

Authority is better quality, so if it's in the budget it's an excellent choice. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their store brand canned cat food is of similar quality and about the same price (their dry food isn't so hot, though). The Petsmart brand that is nearly identical to Friskies is Grreat Choice. So if you need to add a few cheaper cans to the rotation, Grreat Choice Poultry Platter, Turkey & Giblets, and Mixed Grill would be fine (some of the other flavors are OK too, but those are the only ones I can think of right now :tongue2:).

Last edited:

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also noticed friskies first ingredient was meat by products and I was like oh I've read that's not good.
Only the Friskies poultry platter flavor has turkey as the first ingredient.

I don't want to be misleading. If I was listing my favorite HEALTHIEST cat foods Friskies would not be on the list.

If I am listing CHEAP canned food that is better for cats than dry, it does make my list.

Glad to hear she liked it

happyliz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank u both. I am no expert and she is my first kitten I want to make sure she gets the best we can get and I am sure u all have more knowledge and experience Which is fantastic!

norma neary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anyone have any thoughts on Fromm Gold Kitten formula.  My other 3 eat Fromm Gold and love it.  I'm getting my fourth baby next week

and am thinking of starting him on the kitten formula