Best grocery store choice?

nirvarna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would go for the Orijen if you can afford it. Many high quality brands carry exclusively fish flavors and for good reason. It is the cheapest high protein low fat combo you can find. All commercial cat food fish is tested for mercury as well. While I do not feed my cat just fish, I absolutely feed it about half the time. It is a very biologically appropriate food for cats. I am concerned about Mercury but everything I have read has indicated that the source of any commercial cat food has undergone testing. Anyway, Orijen is your best option and I would hate to see you pass it up just because the fish fear has been blown out of proportion.

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I think you are doing fine with trying to do the best you can for the kitty. If you did not rescue him, he would likely be eating nothing many nights or days, and winters there are very cold. My cats eat better than I do many days, I think, but I have started to worry about my own health. You have to have the energy to go to work to make the money to buy his food, so it is about balance.  I think that mixing wet and dry is still far healthier than dry only, so the fact that you budgeting that, is great. Also, if the economy gets better and prices do get better, you can always edge the wet percentage up easily down the road. Orijen has praise on the site, and I have considered trying my cats on it. One has been having some digestive problems, so I am avoiding any changes for now.  I am hoping that the local pet products store has samples. If it is produced there, your vet might even have samples. It is very high in protein, so if you have been feeding the Purina One kitten, you will likely have to transition to Orijen very slowly. I am just guessing that little systems are more delicate. I do use Fancy Feast Classics pates.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's input on this thread. :D

Went on a supply run into town with a few other people today. I forgot the Nature's Miracle I'd been meaning to get, but I did succeed in getting some dry food.

The Petcurean Go! was on sale and in the big bag it was significantly less than the tiny $15 bags of Purina Tucker had been getting from Walmart, and with the size of the bag, and him only having it in the morning, it should last through to spring. Better still, he loves it! (not that I thought that would be a problem. He's the cat version of a vacuum cleaner). But I mixed it in with the Purina and he went for the go! kibbles first, so he definitely knows what's good for him. I splurged a bit while I was there and got him a couple cans of Nature's Instinct rabbit to feed on rotation with the grocery store wet, and a proper foraging toy, because he was getting entirely too adapt at solving my home made ones.

Such a spoiled little kitty cat.