Best food for young Ragdoll kitten?

m00dym00se

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3 month+ Ragdoll kitten was on Royal Canin Mother & Babycat Loaf + KMR Milk when we got him from our breeder. He started having diarrhea after we transitioned him off the milk and is currently temporarily on the Hill’s Prescription Feline i/d Chicken Loaf. All tests from 2 vets have returned negative and he’s healthy — so diarrhea is probably attributed to stomach sensitivity. He’s a lot better now and will be transitioning back to the RC Mother & Babycat. However, the RC Mother & Babycat only supports kittens up to 4 months of age and he will have to get on a later-stage kitten food soon. I’m looking for some wet food options other than RC Kitten that would be best for his growth and development. Some have said they need a high protein diet (like Wellness Core) but some have said too much protein won’t work with stomach sensitivity. He absolutely will not take any dry kibble (we’ve tried prepping it in so many ways even mashing) and seems to hate anything fish-based (salmon, tuna etc). He loves everything chicken though.

What are the best brands and types of wet food out there for a growing Ragdoll kitten’s immune development and coat? What do your breeders feed them?

I am looking at Instinct Kitten, Wellness Complete Health, Wellness Core and Royal Canin — options are quite limited where I live but these are accessible. How do they compare among one another, and how do they compare to other brands in the market? Thanks!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello! I'm not really sure if your cat needs Ragdoll specific food. I've always felt that is a bit of a marketing ploy.

I've always fed my cat a mix of different foods. If there is a recall or one goes out of stock it isn't as much of a big deal for them to eat something else. I would try a few different brands and see what your cat likes. :)