Best dry cat food?

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am totally on board with wet food being the very best thing and have been committed to feeding my fur family the same - however I may have to reconsider this because of an ongoing chronic illness.

Basically I live alone and tend to be hyper-responsible. What this means is that I recognize that as a result of my medical condition (or even just the randomness of life itself), I could need to be admitted to the hospital or (randomness) be in an automobile accident. So I've arranged things with the very few friends I have to call them on a daily basis - a "check in" as it were - saying that the cats have been feed, have fresh water and litter box cleaned.

All well and good, eh? Well, after many months I can hear the weariness in their voice as this seems to have to become like "crying wolf" everyday (some days the pain is so intense you can hear it in my voice). I get it, people, no matter how well intentioned will tend towards thinking nothing is going to change because nothing has changed.

Well, things have not changed, I really shouldn't be driving, for instance, but I have to work… and so at any time there is a reasonable chance that I may not make it home.

Knowing this when I first got my buddies (suggested by the same friends as a "distraction" from the illness and unconditional love) I did arrange to have a "god parent" in case the worst happened, so that they would always have a home. My main concern is that they do not starve in the event of the unexpected actually happening.

So…. I'm thinking of converting from timed feedings to free feeding dry food (supplemented with wet) so that this cannot happen (leaving enough food and fresh water for a week at a time - which should be enough to cover most emergencies - of course I would still need to check in weekly, but I think that would be less of a burden).

My main concerns for the cats now being the health issues related to dry food feeding and the possibility that they will gain weight and possibly gorge with a "limitless" supply of food vs the timed feedings.

I'm only at the stage of considering this change. I know it would have been easier if they started on dry food instead of timed feedings, but it is what it is. So I'm throwing this out there to see how others might handle this and/or to find out the best of the worst (dry food). Ha.

Thanks.

lucentstreak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm kind of in between situation. I think Orijen Cat & Kitten pretty much rock Hugo's socks - 17% carbs though. Hugo once ripped a hole out of a fresh pack that I left out on the table so I guess it works for him. I tried NB but the carbs was too high. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure that I understand why you want to go to free feeding dry from timed meals of canned?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nbrazil

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure that I understand why you want to go to free feeding dry from timed meals of canned?
Because my health is fragile and my driving is also affected (Grace of God haven't been in an accident a few times of late - I HAVE to drive to get to work), it is feasible that I could wind up in the hospital or worse and they would wind up with NO FOOD for however long I was gone (and, as mentioned here, 48 hours is about the maximum before fatty liver disease).

In fact, if my neighbor hadn't made it home during the ice storm this last winter, they would have been without food for 3 days! This is an unacceptable risk for me.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, do what you need to do I guess, but I wouldn't start risk their health now because of a possible accident in the future. 

It's great that you have people that check in on you and have a place for your cats.  That's good planning.