Best Cat Food

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently we feed our cat tuna, a few flavors of Blue wet food, and Blue Indoor Health dry food. Our cat seems to like the food, however if anyone has suggestions on a better brand I'm always open to it.

I'm a big believer in feeding the cats some organic low sodium tuna daily, it does wonders for their coat. My mom's second CKD cat started getting a spoonful daily after diagnosis and itslowed the progression of the disease significantly! Our vet even changed some of his dietary recommendations to other CKD cat owners because of it. 

rummytummy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to get off Blue Buffalo completely as my vet said it causes urinary obstruction. I finally found a,food my kitty will eat, Mauri. I have read some posts that people say it's causing UTI and digestive problems. Before I buy more can anyone help me out. Someone said the phosphorus is too high. I've tried Namaste on the venison and bush tail and she loved them both.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I was looking at this dry food but was wondering if anyone knew if Dried Yeast Culture is the same thing as Brewers dried yeast. My cats cannot have anything with Brewers dried yeast or Brewers Rice in it. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a food I can afford that does not contain these ingredients in it. They also can't have soy in the dry food. I'm feeding 6 semi feral cats and I keep trying different foods but so far have not found one that they really care for. I don't have a lot of money to be spending it on real expensive foods for my ferals.

I got this info about the yeast from dogfoodadvisor.com 

Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are made from the same strain of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but are grown on different mediums. Brewers yeast is a by-product from the brewing industry and is said to have a bitter or “yeasty” taste. Nutritional yeast is often grown on molasses and is described to have a nutty or cheesy taste. Depending on what they are grown on will vary the nutritional content of the final product to a degree. The yeast in these products are deactivate (killed) so they can not colonize the system.

@Snugglecat.... I found this food on Chewy.com   It does have some fish in it but none of the ingredients you are trying to avoid . It is affordable too ..

http://www.chewy.com/cat/firstmate-dry-cat-food-66-lb-bag/dp/116168
@Snugglecat   Did you see this info I posted for you ?

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I got this info about the yeast from dogfoodadvisor.com 

Brewers yeast and nutritional yeast are made from the same strain of yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but are grown on different mediums. Brewers yeast is a by-product from the brewing industry and is said to have a bitter or “yeasty” taste. Nutritional yeast is often grown on molasses and is described to have a nutty or cheesy taste. Depending on what they are grown on will vary the nutritional content of the final product to a degree. The yeast in these products are deactivate (killed) so they can not colonize the system.

@Snugglecat.... I found this food on Chewy.com   It does have some fish in it but none of the ingredients you are trying to avoid . It is affordable too ..

http://www.chewy.com/cat/firstmate-dry-cat-food-66-lb-bag/dp/116168
Yes, I saw that and thank you for taking the time to look for food but my feral cats don't do well with lots of fish in dry food. I bought some Natural Balance limited ingredient Green Pea and Salmon and they are all itching like crazy and one cat is getting chin acne from it. Out of 6 cats my male cat is the only one who likes it and is actually doing well on the food.

I think I will try the Natural Balance Green pea and duck again. It's just that this food is not cheap and we are going without food just so I can feed all my cats. I just wish they could handle Brewers yeast in the dry foods because it would be so much easier and less expensive. Thanks again for all your help.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, I saw that and thank you for taking the time to look for food but my feral cats don't do well with lots of fish in dry food. I bought some Natural Balance limited ingredient Green Pea and Salmon and they are all itching like crazy and one cat is getting chin acne from it. Out of 6 cats my male cat is the only one who likes it and is actually doing well on the food.

I think I will try the Natural Balance Green pea and duck again. It's just that this food is not cheap and we are going without food just so I can feed all my cats. I just wish they could handle Brewers yeast in the dry foods because it would be so much easier and less expensive. Thanks again for all your help.
You are welcome ..  That Firstmate does have a formula without the brewers yeast or fish products  it is just a bit more expensive . 

http://www.chewy.com/cat/firstmate-chicken-meal-blueberries/dp/116178

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You are welcome ..  That Firstmate does have a formula without the brewers yeast or fish products  it is just a bit more expensive . 

http://www.chewy.com/cat/firstmate-chicken-meal-blueberries/dp/116178
It's still much cheaper then the $30.00 I'm paying for a 10 bag of the Natural Balance. I might have to look into this food, I just wish I could buy it from a store. I don't have anyway to order online and then it will probably come out the same as what I'm paying now with the shipping cost.

Let me know how kitties liked the Friskies.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's still much cheaper then the $30.00 I'm paying for a 10 bag of the Natural Balance. I might have to look into this food, I just wish I could buy it from a store. I don't have anyway to order online and then it will probably come out the same as what I'm paying now with the shipping cost.

I understand .   I will try to find something you can buy locally ... 

janizary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The best cat foods at this time (for cost) are

http://www.chewy.com/cat/blue-buffalo-freedom-indoor-weight/dp/49677

Blue Buffalo Freedom ($24 per 11lb bag)

http://www.chewy.com/cat/halo-spots-stew-wholesome-chicken/dp/35702

Halo($24 per 11.5lb bag)

http://www.chewy.com/cat/merrick-before-grain-chicken-formula/dp/33150

Merrick ($25 per 11lb bag)

You can subscribe and save for another 25% off for your first purchase. I did this and I spent only 38 dollars for 2 bags of the Blue Buffalo and Halo + a litterbox deodorizer.

janizary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try buying at Chewy. Only 22 dollars for a 11lb bag of Blue Buffalo Freedom and 24 dollars for Halo at the moment. Free shipping at 50 dollars and 25% off for first subscribe and save.

janizary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to add that EVO 95% Turkey & Chicken Canned Cat Food - 12x13.2 oz cans are only 24 dollars on Amazon right now.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I may have found something for you . It is at Petsmart . It is called Authority Grain Free  . It does not have any of your unwanted ingredients except a bit of Salmon Oil about # 10 on the ingredient list  ..  You can get an 18 pound bag for $28.99 ..

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/dry-foo..._id=36-23723&_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I think I may have found something for you . It is at Petsmart . It is called Authority Grain Free  . It does not have any of your unwanted ingredients except a bit of Salmon Oil about # 10 on the ingredient list  ..  You can get an 18 pound bag for $28.99 ..

http://www.petsmart.com/cat/dry-foo..._id=36-23723&_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted
I guess I should have mentioned that Beet pulp is even worse for them. Almost lost a cat when I tried Iams and another cat food with beet pulp in it.

I did find a feed store that carries the FirstMate dry food you talked about. It's $26.00 for a 10lb bag, with tax it would come out to what I'm paying now though. I might try that at some point but I know if it doesn't work out they to not take returns at that store. Right now I will stick with the Green Pea and Duck until I can get everyone well again. The Green Pea and Salmon really did a number on a couple of the cats.

Thanks for all your help.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess I should have mentioned that Beet pulp is even worse for them. Almost lost a cat when I tried Iams and another cat food with beet pulp in it.

I did find a feed store that carries the FirstMate dry food you talked about. It's $26.00 for a 10lb bag, with tax it would come out to what I'm paying now though. I might try that at some point but I know if it doesn't work out they to not take returns at that store. Right now I will stick with the Green Pea and Duck until I can get everyone well again. The Green Pea and Salmon really did a number on a couple of the cats.

Thanks for all your help.
Oh , You are so welcome . I feel so bad for you . It must be so difficult for you to find a food that agrees them .   Almost all foods have at least one of those ingredients .  Well if I see coupons for NB or see a sale somewhere I will certainly let you know .

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Snugglecat..  I know you said you have no way to order online but if sometime it becomes a possibility you can get the NB L.I.D on Amazon.Com Subscribe & Save for $23.27 plus free shipping ..

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I still haven't found a wet food that Miss Fussybritches will eat, except for that Iams crap. If I get anything else (even FF and Friskies, which Butch will eat) she won't touch it. On the plus side they both love the Orijen dry food. I did some research on this brand and so far everything is great. Here's some info....
Orijen cat food gets the highest possible rating of five stars for its healthy and nutritious cat food made from fresh proteins, fruits, and vegetables. This Canadian company uses human-grade meats such as free-range, antibiotic-free chickens, wild-caught whitefish, and whole eggs. All the ingredients arrive fresh to the facility every day, and they are preservative and chemical free.
Orijen offers two varieties of food, the Cat & Kitten blend and the 6 Fish mix. Both are suitable for all breeds and ages of cats and kittens. Both mixes contain 75% protein and 25% fruits and vegetables. Besides fish and meat, the food contains carrots, spinach, tomatoes, apples, sunflower oil, and fish oils. These ingredients add valuable antioxidants and enzymes that cats need for a balanced diet.

In addition, the company is an independent pet food producer that creates and packages all products at their facility in Alberta, Canada. This means that they have complete control over all the healthy ingredients that go into their nourishing and ‘biologically appropriate’ foods.

- http://petfoodtalk.com/catfoodreviews/orijen/
So at least they have a decent dry food that I can feed them. However it is quite expensive. My local Chowhound has the 5lb bag for $34, but the 15lb bag can be anywhere from $60-$70.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well I still haven't found a wet food that Miss Fussybritches will eat, except for that Iams crap. If I get anything else (even FF and Friskies, which Butch will eat) she won't touch it. On the plus side they both love the Orijen dry food. I did some research on this brand and so far everything is great. Here's some info....

So at least they have a decent dry food that I can feed them. However it is quite expensive. My local Chowhound has the 5lb bag for $34, but the 15lb bag can be anywhere from $60-$70.
Yes , it is very expensive .  I think it is really good food but overpriced .. I got a sample bag once and I was kinda relieved  my cats did not like it ..  The dog formula is $80.00 for a 28 pound bag .. How nuts is that ?

Last edited:

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yes , it is very expensive .  I think it is really good food but overpriced .. I got a sample bag once and I was kinda relieved  my cats did not like it ..  The dog formula is $80.00 for a 28 pound bag .. How nuts is that ?
It is crazy. I am still investigating other dry foods, since I still haven't found a wet one they both will eat. Maybe I'll just keep them on this dry food for now. I know all the experts say they should be eating wet, but those experts aren't paying for my cat food.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It is crazy. I am still investigating other dry foods, since I still haven't found a wet one they both will eat. Maybe I'll just keep them on this dry food for now. I know all the experts say they should be eating wet, but those experts aren't paying for my cat food.
Well , it really is no matter what " the experts " say  , it is what the cats will eat .. As you know that is the most important thing .  If they like the Orijen and will eat it then so be it .

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yikes, you can get the 5lbs bag at chewy.com for $26 and free shipping if you spend more than $50 total. I can buy it locally for the same price as Chewy. But I buy a lot of wet food in bulk so i order a lot from Chewy.com