Best canned food for coat shine

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got a new foster in. She looks like she could use some TLC. We want to do everything that we can to help this girl get ready for adoption.

What is the best canned food for fur health?

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure there's any specific canned food that will help but feeding the highest quality you can afford will be best. You could also add a few drops of fish oil to her food as that will help with her coat. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My personal cats and foster cats all eat canned food only. I don't even keep dry food around. Luckily, my foster cats don't seem to be picky eaters.

I will try the fish oil.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl came from the shelter with dandruff and a rough coat. I think the biggest thing that helped her, besides good food, was brushing every few days and petting. Brushing and petting helps release and spread the oils in their skin and distribute it to their fur. 

I do also sporadically give the cats a bit of fish oil. I was doing it daily for awhile, but now I just do it about once a week. They didn't like it mixed in their food, so I put some on the top of their paws (not the pads) and then they have to lick it off. Just in case she doesn't like fish oil. 

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm not sure there's any specific canned food that will help but feeding the highest quality you can afford will be best. You could also add a few drops of fish oil to her food as that will help with her coat. 
Exactly. Lots of good protein and a little fish oil!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to kill two birds with one stone, lol. I ordered a case of Tiki Cat chicken canned food. It has fish oil in the ingredient list.

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a huge blessing! Today when I stopped by one of the other fosters to return something to her, she sent me away with over 50 cans of canned food! The rescue knows that I only feed canned, so I'm sure that's why they offered it to me. Over 20 of the cans were grain free food! There were a number of Sheba pates, a can of Iam's grain free, and a bunch of cans of Purina Beyond grain free.

This is so cool to get so much donated canned food, and even get some higher quality donated food. Purina Beyond grain free food is $1.09 per 3 oz can. Bless whoever/whichever store donated this wonderful food!

Last edited: