Best CANNED cat food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned food is steamed/cooked in the can that is why many cats prefer the smaller sizes they really do taste better...

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only "good" brands my cats will eat reliably are Wellness and Solid Gold. What they really LOVE is the cheap grocery store food. Iams chicken and beef formulas don't have byproducts, so I use those two in the rotation. Also, as others have mentioned, mixing Meow Mix wet food with something else can work wonders. You can use canned chicken or fish for people in the same way. My cats think it tastes better than any cat food.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good luck to all who are trying to get their fussy furballs off Friskies and 9Lives.
It has taken me YEARS of trying on and off, but I am finally enjoying some success.

I think I tried almost every canned food available out there only to watch them turn their noses up and eat dry instead. I can say that switching them to a better quality dry was somewhat easier, but by no means quick and easy.

I am now going to mainly Wysong for the dry since Nugent has a Struvite Crystal problem and they have a Uretic Formula that the vet approved for mixing with his prescription food. It looks like a good food and is also good as a maintenance diet overall.

I really don't know what they put in the Friskies wet to make the cats want it so bad, but it sure is hard to switch them off it once they've decided they like it.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided my first goal is to gradually change the time they get wet food in the hopes that they'll stop getting me up at 2-3am for it. Then I think I'll work on switching to a better quality food. Of course I hope that as open as they are to eating most other things that they won't be too picky.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, 3am seems to be the latest my kits sleep. LOL But I am now feeding them wet at night so the morning feeding is quick and easy then it's back to bed till the alarm goes off.

I went to the pet store this week and bought some of the Eagle Pack cat food (wet & dry) and while there's a HUGE price difference I'm thinking it'll be worth it. I put out both kinds of dry in the morning (EP and Meow Mix) and the first thing they eat if the EP food. As for the wet food I can tell the difference in quality just my look and smell. Unlike 9 Lives I can see veggies in the EP food and it actually smells ok where as 9 Lives has the yucky typical canned cat food smell (I think it smells a bit like vomit honestly) the EP canned food actually smells like whats in it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Well, 3am seems to be the latest my kits sleep. LOL But I am now feeding them wet at night so the morning feeding is quick and easy then it's back to bed till the alarm goes off.

I went to the pet store this week and bought some of the Eagle Pack cat food (wet & dry) and while there's a HUGE price difference I'm thinking it'll be worth it. I put out both kinds of dry in the morning (EP and Meow Mix) and the first thing they eat if the EP food. As for the wet food I can tell the difference in quality just my look and smell. Unlike 9 Lives I can see veggies in the EP food and it actually smells ok where as 9 Lives has the yucky typical canned cat food smell (I think it smells a bit like vomit honestly) the EP canned food actually smells like whats in it.
Eagle pack wet is quite good .. also for budget help ask for the 13 oz cans... a six oz runs 99-1.39 around here but the bigger cans run 1.39-1.69