BEST Breed for Dogs and Small Children -- SIBERIANS or SCOTTISH FOLD?

arctic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm reading a lot of positive reviews about Siberian Forest Cats: that they are the most "dog-like" of the cat breeds, that they are loyal & affectionate, that they are easily trainable, and that most importantly for me, they LOVE DOGS and are great with small children.

Is this really true?  Or does it depend on the kitty and only if they are socialized from birth with kids and dogs?

I have a German Shepherd puppy who will be 6.5 months when I am expected to adopt two Siberian kitties.

I also have the option of adopting 2 Scottish Folds right now (my puppy is 4 months old).

Any recommendation or advice on which of the two breeds would be ideal for my situation would be appreciated.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have dogs and cats. The most important thing in adding cats to a dog home is to make sure your dogs are completely obedience trained and will obey your voice commands without fail. Even with kittens, a bad dog can cause a lifetime of wariness in dogs. First meetings are the most important to be under control. Of course, you would do proper introductions and keep the new kittens in their safe room for at least two weeks anyway. But, still, first meetings must be done with care, concern and more thought on the cats well-being than the dogs. Meaning, most dogs will be WAY too overbearing and MUST be controlled so as to not scare the kitten/cat. I usually suggest that the dog drags a long line for awhile until he can be totally trusted to completely ignore the cat. Over time, they can become the best of friends and have a long and happy life together.

I would suggest the Siberians only because I know of that breed to be quite brave, out-going and yes, dog-like. :lol3: I don't know too much about Scottish Fold's other than they are so darn cute. I think any cat/dog can live together as long first intros. are managed and supervised closely. GOOD LUCK with your new additions! :wavey:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!  You have quite a decision to make.  My cousin's young daughter adopted a "teenage" Siberian Forest Cat and she (Tiger Lily) walks on a leash and is a wonderful companion.  The family has two large dogs, a Greyhound-Great Dane mix and another who's breed escapes me due to my extreme fatigue right now.  Everyone gets along famously.  I don't know about Scottish Folds at all, except the extreme cute factor mentioned above. There are folks on this site who have them, though. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @arctic  , welcome to the site 

Some breeds are more that way, yes. But as you noted, any cat and dog can be trained to get along with each other and with kids from a young age.

You've heard great things about Siberians, and l'm going to tell you equally great things about Scottish Folds - they are he most easy going and relaxed cats l've ever come across. They're quite playful and enjoy a good mad do once in a while, but they're not the least bit rambunctious. Mine got along well with my dog, but the dog was the same size as him, so not quite the same as your situation. They are very affable cats and are up for just about anything, but not for too long. They're quite lazy and are happy to sit on the couch and watch any activity.

southernhilandr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Everyone has made some great points. I am a breeder for a newer breed called Highlanders. They are family and pet friendly. They have very dog like personalities. They are extremely laid back. So much so that I haven't seen any problems with them getting along with anyone or anything else. They are smart, trainable, like Labs, to fetch and walk on a leash and many are good with water. These cats/ kittens will follow you around at your feet. You can't go wrong with one.
Bear in mind though that because these cats are not afraid of other animals you should not declaw them. And always watch them when they are outside or around unfamiliar animals. They may come across one that doesn't like cats !