Best Brand of Cat Food

my3boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good point Judy, the nutrition standards are constantly changing. I personally had two cats go blind back in the 60's, probably due to the lack of Taurine. The complete & balanced diet, how can packaged kibble, nothing like what they really should eat, give them full nutrition? Has any else noticed that sometime when you buy cat food, you get a bag that makes your cats sick? My daughter has opened bags that have smelled exceptionally bad before.

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the bag smells bad, take it immediately back to the store as it is probably outdated, and the fat in the product could be rancid. Rancid fats are extremely dangerous to feed and are cancer causing. Luckily they do stink.
This has happened to me on occasion, and it is not the manufacturer's fault. The store where you bought it probably kept it past the expiration date. I don't know if all the food cos. have these dates, but the Iams Co. does.
Judy

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know about the hairball formula. I find that it works great. Since I have been mixing it with their Eukaneba they have had less of a problem. You see, I have 11 in the house...just because the hairball is black doesnt mean it was the black cat. It could have been someone grooming the black cat. I can't chase everyone in the house to get the hairball medicine in their mouths every day for a few days. So I figured I would give it a shot. It actually worked. I have given up on the 100% nutrition part. I feed what I think and have read is the best. However I do recomend even the Purina over the wal mart or grocery store brand. Now this is only for people I run into and they tell me they cant afford the pricey food. I tell them they need to switch or the vet bills are going to be more than the food! I also use an Omega fatty acid suppliment because I have found they really like the taste and I love what it does for their coats.

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Omega 3 fatty acid is one of the few oils that works quickly on the coat and skin. If you are going to supplement with fats, use that one. Some foods have it already added. Eukanuba is one of them. I am not familiar with the others. The most popular source is fish oil.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also had a lot of success with hairball formula. My Squirt sheds quite a bit and used to throw up hairballs pretty regularly. Since I switched to hairball formula, this had not been a problem.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, the Omega 3 I use is called 3v formula by DVM. I have only found it at the vet. It is a liquid pump. I only use half a pump a day for the 11 cats. I use Eukanuba but because here in CT it is so cold in the winter, the house gets real dry from the heat. I find it's harder to maintain my black cats during this time. Also, if you bathe your cats frequently (as I do since we show) it helps to restore the oils lost from the shampoos.

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't use the hairball formula. I give a little real butter regularly as this helps with hairballs, and is also a natural source of fats and fatty acids, and natural vitamins. I also bring in grass in the summer for them. This keeps the hairballs down naturally.
Judy

my3boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Judy, whenever my cats eat grass, it makes them throw up, is this how you control hairballs? I would think if they had oils it would pass out in the stools. So how do these things work?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Judy:

I like the suggestion about the butter. I never thought of that. How do you feed it to them? How much and how often, too?

Come to think of it, when Squirt used to go outdoors and eat grass on his own, I don't remember as big of a hairball problem. My neighbors will think I've lost my mind if they see me outside tearing up grass!

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's the idea. They do throw up hairballs when they eat grass. The butter keeps them moving the other way. Then hairballs aren't an issue any more. A pat of butter once or twice a week once they are clear.
Have you ever notice how most cats love butter! I think it is good for them.
Cats eat plenty of grass if they have a chance. They don't need it for nutrition, but I think it is good for digestion, and hairballs.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For any of you that DON'T get the emazing cat tip of the day, this was in today's email from them. Timely to this thread.

Grass For Your Cat

Cats are carnivores, but don't be surprised if your cat
develops a taste for eating grass.

Grass is a good source of fiber and vitamins and may help
your cat bring up hairballs. If you keep your cat indoors,
you should provide her with some grass blades to munch.

You can find a kitty grass kit in many pet shops, or you
can make your own indoor lawn. All you need is a stable pot
with some clean (preferably sterilized) soil. Sprinkle some
seeds of grass, parsley or thyme (try catnip for a true
kitty paradise). Water daily, without drenching the soil,
and keep in a well-lit place.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hehe, just make sure you are prepared to clean up the throw up. Most cats will do this after eating regular grass.

vjoy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have my kitty yet...(few more days) but she is coming from a shelter where there is dry and wet food for all.....there is no way to tell which she prefers, so I went and bought some IAMS dry and wet food, and figured that I would put them both out at the same time and see which she prefers.... is that a good idea??/

After reading about all the Eukanuba posts, I am sorry I got IAMS....maybe I will switch...

Val, Thanks

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Alright upon reading some of these comment, I feel some clarification is needed. And I shall preface this by saying that I took a required nutrition course in my AHT program, taught by a vet.

So meat byproducts. THEY ARE NOT BAD. Meat byproducts are basically any part that is safely edible other than the meat it self. This means that organs such as the heart, and liver are considered byproduct and very healthy and full of vitamins and minerals. BYPRODUCTS ARE NOT BAD FOR YOUR CAT.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, upon reading your comments, HPeters HPeters , I feel you should be clarifying.....why you'd be evaluating peoples' food ratings.....from 18 years ago...?

:flail:.....and a huge WELCOME to the forum !