Best Birdfeeder?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Best bird feeder and food to use to attract birds? My two kittens don't get much in terms of interesting views out the window, so trying to add some scenery.

Also how close should I have the birdfeeder to my window? Would too close scare away the birds or make the cats too agitated?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hang the bird feeder 5-10 feet from the house if you can. I think hanging from branch would be ideal. The best bird feeder? A pigeon proof one? ;) We have this one & I like it ... though some of those flying rats have figured out how to eat from it a bit. Also a water fountain attracts birds. Even a small bubbling one like our red fountain attracts birds.

IMG_5284.JPG

Shop Wild Bird Rustic Red Metal Squirrel-Resistant Hopper Bird Feeder at Lowes.com

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would hang the bird feeder 5-10 feet from the house if you can. I think hanging from branch would be ideal. The best bird feeder? A pigeon proof one? ;) We have this one & I like it ... though some of those flying rats have figured out how to eat from it a bit. Also a water fountain attracts birds. Even a small bubbling one like our red fountain attracts birds.

View attachment 221436

Shop Wild Bird Rustic Red Metal Squirrel-Resistant Hopper Bird Feeder at Lowes.com
So you wouldn't recommend a bird feeder that attaches to the window? I've seen a few that seem pretty popular. Although the cat would literally be inches away from the birds..

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure. My guys seem pretty fascinated watching the birds in the tree & on the light-pole from my bedroom window. (There is no feeder in the front yard but still there are plenty of birds to watch.) A big fat pigeon or a crow might scare your cats & birds might be startled away from the feeder if your cat bangs into the window. Plus if it is hanging in a tree, you can open your window on warm days if your window has a screen.

Also those evil pigeons are pigs that will gobble up all of the food before the sparrows & finches get a chance to eat. Pigeons flock so they really block the feeder until they are done.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! chewy . com has wagner's classic wild bird food - that might be a good one in regards to the fact that it's supposed to be for a multitude of types of birds.
However, you should also get on duncraft wild bird website - if you're going to do this you need to have the feeder match the birdfood, that matches the birds you have in your area, plus you need to know how to take care of/clean the feeder, how to deter pest birds if you're concerned about them (pigeons, starlings), squirrels etc.

You will be ok having the feeder out in the yard - your cats will see it just fine.
Enjoy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi! chewy . com has wagner's classic wild bird food - that might be a good one in regards to the fact that it's supposed to be for a multitude of types of birds.
However, you should also get on duncraft wild bird website - if you're going to do this you need to have the feeder match the birdfood, that matches the birds you have in your area, plus you need to know how to take care of/clean the feeder, how to deter pest birds if you're concerned about them (pigeons, starlings), squirrels etc.

You will be ok having the feeder out in the yard - your cats will see it just fine.
Enjoy!
Okay thanks. So I hanged two of them. One fairly low on a tree, and another one a bit higher near my roof. So how will I be able to attract the birds in general?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi again- as mentioned, a birdbath can help attract birds, just not so close that it catches bird seed and gets clogged. A fountain type, wiggler or dripper is best to catch birds' attention.

Fill the feeder with the most popular type of birdseed, such as black oil sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, and nyjer seed, then spread some seed on the top of the feeder, on a nearby platform, or on the ground near the feeder.

If you're not sure birds have discovered your feeders, note of the seed levels to determine if they’re visiting the feeder and you're simply missing them. Also, if the seed hasn't been eaten after several days, it might be getting moldy or is attracting insects and is less appealing to birds.

Keep the feeder filled with fresh seed for the best results. Also, make sure the type of seed offered can fit through the size of the feeding ports to be sure the birds can get to the seed without difficulty.

It can take time for birds to become accustomed to a new feeder and to visit it regularly so you might need to be patient.
Good luck!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So you wouldn't recommend a bird feeder that attaches to the window? I've seen a few that seem pretty popular. Although the cat would literally be inches away from the birds..
I got one of those for Christmas, and used the same Wagner's bird seed. Not a single bird has touched it. Maybe it is precisely because the cats are right there? I don't know if they can see the cats, or they can't see where to perch because it is clear acrylic, but they act like the food isn't there.
I have thrown the seed out in the grass, and put another feeder about ten feet away in a tree. Those areas get birds now (after about a month of trying,) but still nothing at the window feeder.

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had a successful experience with a bird feeder that attaches to the window? I live in an apartment, on the second floor, so putting a bird feeder on the window is sort of my only option right now!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any sort of balcony railing, or anything you could attach a bracket/swinging (lockable) arm to? Then you could hang the birdfeeder out away from your window and the building...

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any sort of balcony railing, or anything you could attach a bracket/swinging (lockable) arm to? Then you could hang the birdfeeder out away from your window and the building...
Unfortunately there isn't, it's a flat brick building, so if I want a bird feeder for my cat to watch I will have to hang it from the window, which isn't ideal haha

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
What if you had a cat tree that's positioned a bit further back from the window - fake out the birds ;) and keep your furbaby happy?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have multiple bird feeders outside my windows in both the front and back of the house, and the birds completely ignore my cats. They seem to know that the cats can't reach them. But the cats love to bird watch, particularly the youngest one. I use thistle seed for the finches in a finch feeder, and a no-mess bird seed in the other feeders.

Another option to consider is a humming bird feeder. I have one about a foot from the window, and the cats love to mutter obscenities at the hummers. The hummers are unimpressed. You can buy suction cup humming bird feeders that attach directly to the window if you can't hang a feeder. The recipe for the juice is simple: In the warmer months, 4 parts water to 1 part water. Boil the water, stir in the sugar, let it cool and you're good to go. I make a large batch and refrigerate it so it's ready to go when the hummers drain the feeder. I don't know where you live, but we have humming birds year round in Oregon, so I also feed in the winter. For winter feeding, it's 3 parts water to 1 part sugar. Sugar water has a lower freezing point than plain water...roughly 26 to 28 degrees or so. If the temp drops below that, I have to bring the feeder indoors--but I try to get it out as soon as I can in the morning because the little guys need their energy. Oh, and don't add food coloring! It's not necessary and the chemicals in the food coloring can be harmful.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
:dazzler: NOW I'm envious :gift:
I know, right? It's so cool. I've never lived anyplace where we had so many hummingbirds (certainly not Colorado where we lived before moving here :))--and had them all year. Hummingbird watching is the girls' favorite sport, particularly when the birds have their aerial battles. Territorial little suckers.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I throw bird and squirrel food on the ground under the window where my cats sit. I have a lot of Dove in my area and they wont use a feeder, so i started doing this for them, and all the birds seem to like it better that way. I do have a humming bird feeder that suctions on the glass. i put that in the window and the cats LOVE it. Hummers seem to like taunting the cats too...lol

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our hummingbirds prefer our fountains & my fushia plants over the humming bird feeders we hang. We have some that nest in our giant 20 or so feet tall ficus tree. (Who knew if you plant them in the ground, they grew that big?) Here in Southern California we have them year round. Just watch out for Anna's humming birds (the biggest kind of hummingbirds) they will dive bomb people & cats.

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm in Northern Cali, so hopefully we have the same hummingbird luck as you, Tobermory Tobermory
Thanks, too, for all the great bird feeding tips!
You’re welcome! I’m in southern Oregon so our birds and yours should be pretty similar. The Anna’s hummers that danteshuman danteshuman mentions are all up and down the West Coast, and they’re the ones that hang around all winter and entertain the kitties. The others migrate south.