Best age to Spay?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the input! Fergie is indoors-only, and the only male cat here is already neutered, so I'm not worried about her getting pregnant... but all the same, I'd rather do it before her first heat cycle. I'll call my vet and see what he recommends, and maybe shoot for the middle ground of 3-4 months if it's okay with him. She isn't much over two pounds, if that - only 1.7 at her last visit.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet actually does it by weight - as soon as a cat weighs 2kg, then they can be neutered. SOmething to do with the body being better able to cope with the shock. Usually that's about 5 months....

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best time to spay a female is before her first heat and as cats can come into heat from around 4 months that means no later than 4 months unless you have a vet won't do it until later. If your vet will spay them younger than that then I'd go for that. So between 2 and 4 months imo.

Originally Posted by alice_curiouser

Fergie is indoors-only, and the only male cat here is already neutered, so I'm not worried about her getting pregnant...
The number of times I've heard that...! And the cat has ended up pregnant!
Be extra vigilent until she's spayed as a cat in heat will try very hard to get out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

The number of times I've heard that...! And the cat has ended up pregnant!
Be extra vigilent until she's spayed as a cat in heat will try very hard to get out.
In 20+ years having my own cats, I've never let one get pregnant yet... and I have no plans to start with this one, thanks.

les0304

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We usually recommend waiting until all the vaccines are given, and then do the Rabies vacc at the time of the spay, so around 18-20 weeks. However, if the owner isn't comfortable with waiting that long, we will do it a little sooner.

We also do many pediatric spays/neuters for a local rescue group, and as soon as the kittens are 1.5 pounds they want the surgery done, that way they can adopt them out sooner. For pediatric surgeries, the anesthetist (me) and the person monitoring all the vitals (me) has to be aware of necessary precautions that are required. Plus, it is extremely important to have these little guys/girls intubated, which many practices don't bother with. I don't leave the option, I intubate all kittens, even the 2 minute neuters.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet does the early spay/neuter (2 lbs). In cats, mammary cancer is the third most common cancer. Waiting until 6 months increases the risk.
Early spay is the single most significant protective factor. Spaying before age 6 months results in a 91% reduction in risk for mammary cancer.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2445