Bentley - Not using the litter box all of a sudden

bentleysmom1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We have had Bentley since he was just a very small kitten, he was abandoned in a barn down the street from my old house. Never in 3years have we had a problem with the litter box. This spring I ended up in a separation from my husband and ended up moving out in June. With that being said, I moved into my parents and could not bring Bentley with me due to a bad cat allergy from my father. I am not sure what my ex did to him (I know there were things said that he wasn't letting Bentley into the house at one point), or if it is just a mixture of confusion and unhappiness on Bentley's part, or just a mixture of both. Bentley is staying with my son and his young family until I find a place of my own, and he won't use the litter box. I can't have him pooping all over the house, they have  2 toddlers, but when he comes back to me, he can not be doing that either. I know his house can be crazy and its not really clean all the time either, so I am wondering if that could contribute to it as well. 

So my question to everyone here is, please I do not want to have to bring my cat to the shelter or rehome him, I need to fix the problem. What can I do? I really hope that someone can help me with this problem so we can all be happy. 

Thanks

Bentleysmom

purmonster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're son should try limiting him to one room, quiet, where the children do not go. Keep him in one room with the litter box. There is also an a cat litter called cat attract. I suggested it to my mother who had a similar problem as you, and it did wonders for her. You can mix it half and half with your litter now since it is more expensive then your average litter.

Also make sure he hasn't switched litters? If you have used the same litter his whole life and your son has changed it he may be refusing the litter. My own cat is picky with litter.

Good luck!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Has Bentley been checked out by a vet recently? Stress can trigger an illness which can lead to litter box issues. So, I would start here.

Second, I agree about confining Bently to one room. Make sure he has everything her needs...litter box, food/water, a bed/blanket and a few favorite toys.

It may also be worth investing in some Deliway diffusers for your son's house.

But, I'd certainly start with a vet visit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bentleysmom1020

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PURmonster and Catpak,

First of all thank you for replying to me. I got this panicked text from my son last night and I didn't know where to turn or what to do since I had never ever had this problem with Bentley or any other cat I have owned before. But then again we also haven't had the stress we had last year in our lives either. 

Just from being at my son's, its a stressful household, and not quiet either. There are other animals there, turtle and a ferret for starters and 2 children. Then with the split, I am unsure of how my ex treated him while he was still at the old house too. I feel terrible and all I want is for Bentley and I to be together again. With that being said, he has to use the litter box, period. There is no way I can rent an apartment and have him go where ever he wants to. 

Thank you for the ideas, I am going to go to pet smart on my way home and pick those things up and bring them over, talk to my son. I know they have an extra bedroom so maybe that can be Bentleys for a bit since i dont think the kids go in there. 

If you or anyone has any other thoughts or ideas feel free to l et me know. 

Thanks! 

BM

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most likely he's acting out due to all the changes his life.

I third (or what ever number it is) getting him set up in the spare bedroom. 

Peeing and Pooping all over the house is very common with kitties not used to kids who are suddenly dealing with kids in their life. I'd make sure that room is off limit to the kids and make sure everyone is clear on that.

Hopefully once he's given a safe place he'll go back to using the box with no issue.