Bent tail

poeski

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure which room this should go in, but if this is wrong...then you may move it. Anyway. My first cat I got from a shelter, Mazzy. She's about 4 years old now, I got her when she was about 6 months old. The very end of her tail is bent. Kind of like it was shut in a door. She's very sensitive about it. I thought that maybe the previous owner did something to her to cause it. But I guess I was wrong. Because she has had three litters of kittens and a couple from each litter would have the same thing. Some of them would have bent tails and some wouldn't. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm guessing it's something genetic, but I don't know.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing I would like to address is why you are breeding a domestic cat from a shelter? I don't want to be harsh, but it's one thing to breed a pure breed cat to improve the genetic structure, but to breed a domestic cat is not right. There are so many cats out there who don't have owners to spay and neuter them, they could fill a whole country.
Second, if it has shown up in all litters, it's a genetic trait. Because you don't know what or where this trait came from, it's not wise to produce kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poeski

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not breeding any cats. She was a farm cat at my parents house after I got her, cause I had no where else to keep her. That's when she had her kittens.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I was under the impression she was still whole and having kittens. Like I said, I was not trying to be harsh

angelzoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure there is multipul reasons why this might happen. One way is that there is some sort of mineral defiency while the mother cat is pregnant with the kits, and it causes them, to get 'kinks' in their tails. One of my recent fosters had that.

Are you going to be getting all of your kitties fixed now that their kittens are born?

georgesgal2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
dhbrfeiu;fhvnsdakj.
I just got a kitten with the same bent tail. She dosent seem to be in pain from it but she dosent like people to touch it. My vet wants to cut the bent part off but dosent really have a goos reasson to want to do it. How is your cat doing with the bent tail?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's cat was born with a bent tail, and hasn't bothered her in her 13 years. I've seen several cats over the years with bent tails, and I've seen it more often in tortoiseshell kitties. What color is your kitty?

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is just a genetic trait. I saw it many times when working at a shelter and it comes in handy when identifying cats!
Just a note: whether or not she is having kittens at your house or your parents farm is irrelevant. Letting this cat reproduce is very irresponsible, please have her spayed as soon as possible.

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My feral rescue Catsy has a bent tail, the tip of her tail is kinda hooked, I can feel the kink in the bone when I touch the tip of her tail. She's fine with me touching it though, it's become a habit to reach down and stroke her tail from base to tip, but of course I don't try to add pressure to the kinked part...

She had one litter of 4 kittens, 2 had kinked short tails 2 had straight long tails. Not sure if the kinked tailed kitten will have a long, but still kinked tail like what his mommy has... right now it looks like a broom from afar
, but you can feel the kink.

There's absolutely no reason to cut off the kinked part, I'm appalled that any vet would suggest that for purely cosmetic reasons. Sounds downright cruel to me.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend's cat has a bent tail. He is a purebread siamese so the breeder had him neutered and gave him away.

On a side note, is it normal for a purebread cat to occasionally have a kitten with a defect like that? I don't know anything about the breeder. What I said here is all I was told.

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom got a kitten from a shelter. His tail is zig zagged and short...but his whiskers were also burnt off too so this was due to cruel behavior..but the tail feels pretty weird!

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Super old thread but i used to have a kitten named Kinkles who could fold her tail in half like it had a knuckle in it because it was so kinked in the middle and then at the tip it had a kink in the opposite direction. She coumd straighten it out but if we tried it hurt her. She was born with it like that but was the only one of her litter with a kinked tail. My friend thought it was broken when she first saw it and freaked out lol.