Bengals: Small Litters vs Large litters (3 vs 7)

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am about to purchase two new bengals.

My TICA registered breeder has had three liters recently One fathered by a large brown spotted bengal (netted 3 babies) and the other 2 queens bred with a visiting champion spotted snow (both resulting in 7 babies each).

I have read that low litters are common, but nothing about large litters.

Maybe when you get to SBT or F5 litters  become akin to domestic size litters?

Or is it random with all breeds and moggies, that litter size can varries on fertilization of eggs or size of mother?

Thanks for your input.

And in case you care, I am getting mink boy #2 in first link, and I got to choose a brother or sister from either litter (brown spotted sepia eyes)

http://www.jungletimebengals.com/TemptationFrankieLitter1.html
http://www.jungletimebengals.com/DesireFrankieLitter1.html

Last edited by a moderator:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Litter sizes vary, but are decided by the female. Friends who breed Bengals get litters of 3-7, same as other breeds. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info!

Any suggestions on a sibling would be great!

I have investigated their family tree, and it seems to be solid (father and grandfater (snow) are both continously screened, and their mom's both sired in house, are as such by the two in home brown studs, def no imbreeding from what i can tell on bengalpedigree.com

The snow dad is originall from Fractal Felines, a well know snow breeder in DC.  He was sold to Speak Easy in Massachusets, and loaned to Jungletime for the two litters that I linked in first post.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They are cute. I know nothing of Bengals though, so I can't make any suggestions.

When it came time to purchase my breeders I deferred to my mentors who knew pedigrees and characteristics better than me. Now I am getting to know what is what on my own. Inbreeding is something to be monitored and not necessarily avoided altogether.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys,  I am being SUPER paranoid with this.

Not to be a downer, but my Pedigree bengal of 11 years is currently in her final days tolerating Mitral Valve Stenosis (not HCM).

I am trying to cover all my angles so my new buddies have a long and healthy life.

I know bengals are supposed to be prone to HCM, along with the others, and the fact that market forces (or good ethics) if a breeder doesnt do yearly heart scans on breedering cats, they can't sell them here.

Thanks guys

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your current cat.

Really, a cat is a cat there is no guarantee that something won't happen at some stage. All you can do is go through a responsible breeder who does all necessary health checks. HCM and Pk-def are the main 2, some are also screening for the newly developed Hypokalemia test.