Bengals/Ocicats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lmbo - that's ok, I'm still learning. That's why I want to do a more detailed comparison at the shows and post picture for everyone. I'm starting to tell more on the face, but some of the pictures you could not tell very well.

Like I said, some are PET oci's or bengals and that's why others get confused.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes I agree a lot of them are pet quality, and in that case it is hard to tell. Some of them actually looked like moggies to me.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Here are the ones that look a little similar to me. Can YOU tell which is which?

1.Ocicat
2.Bengal
3.Bengal
4.Ocicat
5.Ocicat
6.Bengal
7.Bengal
8.Bengal
9.Ocicat
10.Bengal
11.Ocicat
12.Bengal
More to follow...

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

More:

13.Ocicat
14.Bengal
15.Bengal
16.Bengal
17.Bengal
18.Ocicat
19.Ocicat
20.Ocicat
21.Ocicat
22.Ocicat
23.Ocicat
24.Bengal
Cool, huh???

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, will admit I need to study the 2 breeds more
But it was fun. We both went back (DH and I) and really looked at the pictures so we would know better.

Was hoping that Nial would have taken the test before the answers

I'm looking forward to the ACFA show end of the month - really hope there is a bengal owner there willing to help me out in picture taking so we all can learn. DH is good with the camera - hopefully we can get them close enough (so they don't get too upset) and have head - front/side views, body views, etc. for comparison.

mia mouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread. I was wondering the difference in these breeds myself. The photo quiz was ingenious
Kudos for it.

As I looked at them I was thinking the the Bengal's looked more satin coated then the Oci's. Now that I've seen the answers I wish I had stopped to take the quiz. lol

I loved all the beautiful photo's

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering not just look wise but personality wise what were the main differences between the two breeds (I know individual variation between cat individuals can of course go counter to any trends)

I know bengals are usually quite a handful. Very energetic powerful cats that need a lot of stimulation and can often catch their new owners a bit unawares when they weren't quite ready for what a dynamo of a cat they've gotten.

are Ocicats calmer or just as high maintenance?

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Bengals, Ocicats and Aby's are nearly tied in the agility/affection/high maintenance departments.

All 3 of these breeds are lovable hooligans that engage their owners in activities, pranks, hyjinx, and games, mixing in warm affectionate moments throughout the day.

Each of these breeds need alot of attention from their owners. These are not cats to be ignored! 1 to 3 hours per day of hands on time with these cats is the norm. They want to be in the midst of everything and owners should know upfront that a kitten/cat of these breeds, needs at least as much attention as a dog would expect.

With these 3 breeds, who wouldn't want to spend that time with them?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know that most Ocicat breeders don't like to place an Oci in a home with no other high energy cats or a dog or someone that works all day. They get bored fast and need interactive people/pets.

If you are the type that likes "show-off" cats like persians/himalayans, then you do NOT want an Ocicat
They are not ones to sit around to be admired - they are in-your-face to be admired cats

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I think Bengals, Ocicats and Aby's are nearly tied in the agility/affection/high maintenance departments.

All 3 of these breeds are lovable hooligans that engage their owners in activities, pranks, hyjinx, and games, mixing in warm affectionate moments throughout the day.

Each of these breeds need alot of attention from their owners. These are not cats to be ignored! 1 to 3 hours per day of hands on time with these cats is the norm. They want to be in the midst of everything and owners should know upfront that a kitten/cat of these breeds, needs at least as much attention as a dog would expect.

With these 3 breeds, who wouldn't want to spend that time with them?
Totally agreed! My Bulan is currently being "boarded" with a friend in HK who is strictly a Persian person and she just doesn't quite know what to make of her!!!

However, she is falling in love with Bulan - my friend get quite exhausted just watching her!

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I do know that most Ocicat breeders don't like to place an Oci in a home with no other high energy cats or a dog or someone that works all day. They get bored fast and need interactive people/pets.

If you are the type that likes "show-off" cats like persians/himalayans, then you do NOT want an Ocicat
They are not ones to sit around to be admired - they are in-your-face to be admired cats