Bengal question(s) for breeders (mostly I think?)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sheeba07

We are considering a second cat, but because of other reasons can't get one until two weeks from now. And then there's the introduction period and everything which also takes some time. Who knows if the two will even get along if we buy one?! Anyway, we will do our best regarding the biting, and her destructive behavior and see if she improves.
In my breed many breeders do suggest getting two kittens if you don't have other cats in the home. I have one cat, but also have inside dogs that serve as outlets for play time, which helps a lot, more than I know probably.
Since your kitten is still young the intro phase shouldn't take long I wouldn't think, go with an altered male and try to find one that matches her energy level.

dauntingfire

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's much much much easier to introduce a cat when they are under a year than when they are older.
Really if you need to wait a few weeks thats no problem, just play with her a lot and come to a decision with your husband.

Bengals are -AMAZING- but I specifically didn't get them because of their high energy level. >_>; I just couldn't handle it, I don't think...I managed to find a Siamese/Thai breeder who listened carefully to my personality request and when one of her kittens showed that personality she told me right away. It worked out well!

This is a great chance to go to a local shelter and rescue a baby, btw.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know talking to the Ocicats breeders most ask if you have other pets (dogs/cats) and we were told beforehand that Oci's need a friend to play with if you are not home to entertain them

So at the shows, we do recommend that you don't get an Oci unless you have other cats or stay at home. I'm surprised that the Bengal breeders you talked to, didn't ask. I've heard some Bengal breeders in our area tell people the same thing - get 2 kittens if you have no other cats/dogs at home.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, I forgot to say what a beautiful baby she is!! Just adorable (which is good, because she'll need to get by on that overwhelming cuteness when she's sitting at the top of your curtains on the curtain rod like Pogue was this morning).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sheeba07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHA...thanks CatsAreBetter. Everyone say that when I show pics of Sheeba, and my reply most often is:"Don't be fooled by her cuteness, she's a mischievous energy-bomb"

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bengal's are extremely high energy cats, but in my opinion, they are so much more fun than a relaxed, quiet, cat. Yes, they do some crazy things. Simba can be found hanging out on top of the doors. He plays in the kitty water dish, and he has fun pouncing on top of the other cats. When he plays, he plays with vigor and intensity. Here's a pix of my Simba when he was about 6 months old, playing with a catnip filled toy. Note, the wild eyes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will agree with your active cats statement and being more fun. I've had rexes and ocicats - both very active breeds. I'd be bored to death with a cat that was too laid back and laid around the house just looking pretty

jenniferd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Will agree with your active cats statement and being more fun. I've had rexes and ocicats - both very active breeds. I'd be bored to death with a cat that was too laid back and laid around the house just looking pretty
Hey, that's my persian you are talking about.

That's all he does basically. I think persians would be a great cat for someone elderly as they are very laid back, but I am not elderly yet. I am thinking of something with a little more energy for my third cat, but I don't want the cat to go crazy and destroy everything either.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jenniferd

Hey, that's my persian you are talking about.

That's all he does basically. I think persians would be a great cat for someone elderly as they are very laid back, but I am not elderly yet. I am thinking of something with a little more energy for my third cat, but I don't want the cat to go crazy and destroy everything either.
I don't know how well your Persian would appreciate getting a high energy cat like a Bengal, though. I don't know if an Ocicat would have quite the energy level of a Bengal, because I've never been around an Oci or a Rex for that matter. However, I can tell you, that my Bengal's especially Simba, can out energy my Siamese, and I believe Siamese are not considered laid back cats.