Bengal: Growing up seal lynx marble

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Loki is her father, her mother is Kenya. They are both brown spotted, but carry for snow (seal). Out of the litter of six, she is the only snow bengal.

All seal lynx point bengals have blue eyes, so her eyes will remain blue, unless she fools us and is really a seal mink. In a perfect world, if she were seal mink her eyes would have turned green already. So, I'm pretty confident she is a seal lynx.
I'm pretty sure that, unless you are mistaken about which form of the albino (tyrosinase) gene the parents are carrying, any kitten from that particular pairing can only be color point (lynx), not sepia or mink (as all occur at the same genetic locus). As each of the parents is normally colored, they are heterozygous for whichever albino gene they are carrying and only carry one copy of it. That means that each kitten can have one of four combinations, homozygous normal, heterozygous normal carrying the father's albino copy, heterozygous normal carrying the mother's albino copy, and homozygous albino (with one copy of whatever mom has, and one copy of whatever dad has). So if both parents carry lynx, every albino kitten MUST be lynx. If both carry sepia, every albino kitten MUST be sepia. And last, if they carry a mix and match of lynx and sepia, every albino kitten MUST be seal.

If you were unsure about what the parents were carrying, you should know for sure now (at least down to what the pair carry collectively).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfur

I'm pretty sure that, unless you are mistaken about which form of the albino (tyrosinase) gene the parents are carrying, any kitten from that particular pairing can only be color point (lynx), not sepia or mink (as all occur at the same genetic locus). As each of the parents is normally colored, they are heterozygous for whichever albino gene they are carrying and only carry one copy of it. That means that each kitten can have one of four combinations, homozygous normal, heterozygous normal carrying the father's albino copy, heterozygous normal carrying the mother's albino copy, and homozygous albino (with one copy of whatever mom has, and one copy of whatever dad has). So if both parents carry lynx, every albino kitten MUST be lynx. If both carry sepia, every albino kitten MUST be sepia. And last, if they carry a mix and match of lynx and sepia, every albino kitten MUST be seal.

If you were unsure about what the parents were carrying, you should know for sure now (at least down to what the pair carry collectively).
Please do some research on the bengal breed. All "snow" bengals are referred to as "Seal", with variations being lynx, mink and sepia. They are not albinos! I have had several same pairings (not this pair), that have produced seal lynx and seal mink in the same litter or subsequent litters, along with all other siblings being brown.
I.E My stud boy, arctic cowboy is a seal mink, his littermate sister is a seal lynx. The rest of the litter was brown spotted.

I think you're confused about bengal cat color terminology.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lioness

Kai Bengals!

I have a question. What pattern is the bengal in your avatar? Her/His eyes look green. From reading this thread, I now see that's possible for a bengal to have green eyes. I thought they only had gold/copper. Learned some new things today.

Anyways he/she is gorgeous!
Thanks! My avatar is of "rodeo", aka Arctic Cowboy. He is a spotted seal mink.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pointed gene is a version of albino so I think that's what she was referring to.

As for getting seal lynx and seal mink in the same litter, that should be possible while getting seal lynx and seal sepia in the same litter is impossible.

Getting seal lynx and seal mink only works if atleast one of the parents is a snow bengal, between two brown spotted cats who both carry for snow you can only get one variety of snow bengal and that's what she was talking about.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

The pointed gene is a version of albino so I think that's what she was referring to.
If so then I'm ok with that, but true albino cats are colorless and have eyes that appear pink. Referring to seal bengals as albinos throws me for a loop. No one in the bengal breeding community refers to seals as albino.

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seal is dark brown (same color as black, genetically).When I said seal I meant mink, sorry. When breeders of different breeds of cats use different terminology to refer to the same genetic mutations, it's very confusing.

The colorpoint gene series all are different, co-recessive mutations of the same gene (which means they are mutally exclusive, though you have two copies of the gene), which codes for tyrosinase (which helps make pigment). They are sepia, color point, albino with blue eyes, and albino with pink eyes (there are other albino mutations which are possible). I was only referring to them as albino because the general word Bengal breeders use to refer to color point cats slipped my mind, and it was the simplest word that fit.

Siggav is right about the only normally possible way to get sepia and mink, or color point (lynx) and mink is if one of the parents is a snow of some sort. If both of the parents are mink, however, the kittens can be any sort of snow, in the probability ratios of 25% sepia, 50% mink and 25% color point, but all the kittens will be snow. Siggav is, of course, wrong on my sex.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're right about it being possible to get all types from a double mink pairing. I forgot that scenario. Oops.

Also sorry about getting your gender wrong. I'm so used to being in areas online where the majority is female I tend to think of people as female unless proven otherwise in those spaces. A complete flip from pretty much anywhere else really where the default is always male. Anyway that's a different discussion, but yeah, oops.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lioness

wow!!!

I bet Simba is even more beautiful in person than he already looks in your signature picture then!

I really love green and blue eyes.
You really need to post Simba's really mean looking picture. It is incredible! (And we know he isn't really mean, but boy that picture.....)

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, just found this thread - she's gorgeous!! Do you have any more updated pics Nial?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

I think I'd get most excited about having a Seal Sepia. Have yet to have one of those. And I'd be ecstatic to have a melanistic.

Rodeo and Hau Kea were both seal minbk, so it's going to be fun to have this seal lynx girl for a change.

The seals are more rare for us, because we don't breed for them specifically. Some breeders have lots of them.
Nial, if you want a melanistic, take one of mine, I have three of them right now (kittens), two females and one male. The spotted female is very beautiful with large spots.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for those of you who want to see an adult seal lynx pont snow, here's one that I produced here at Pocket Leopards.
I haven't kept one to adulthood but I plan on doing that next time one comes around.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

wow - what a stricking color/markings on him/her. Why didn't you keep this one?
I refer to her as a 'charcoal snow" because her markings are so dark and her mother is a charcoal brown. I didn't keep her because the cattery who owns her already was promised a seal lynx point snow before she was born. I traded a very nice stud for her before she was even born. Plus, all of my cats carry for marble and although marbles are beautiful, I am not focusing on marble at this time. I will probably keep the next snow spotted female that comes along.
My charcoal female is pregnant right now by a seal mink silver stud, so I should get lots of snow and silver and silver-snow combinations (hopefully).

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Nial, if you want a melanistic, take one of mine, I have three of them right now (kittens), two females and one male. The spotted female is very beautiful with large spots.
Just an FYI, I've been in touch with Nial recently (giving Penny updates,) and he has asked me to let folks know that he is no longer posting for personal reasons, but that people are welcome to contact him through his website.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh that's sad - I really enjoyed talking to him and learning about Bengals. Hope things work out and maybe one day he'll return.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

for those of you who want to see an adult seal lynx pont snow, here's one that I produced here at Pocket Leopards.
I haven't kept one to adulthood but I plan on doing that next time one comes around.

She's beautiful!

Originally Posted by GingersMom

Just an FYI, I've been in touch with Nial recently (giving Penny updates,) and he has asked me to let folks know that he is no longer posting for personal reasons, but that people are welcome to contact him through his website.
That's too bad but thanks for the update.