Bengal DSH cross kittens

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theres an ad in our paper for Bengal DSH cross kittens. They are asking $200 for them. I wouldn't mind getting one. Just wondering if thats a little pricey for a cross even though they are part Bengal.

The lady emailed me a pic, theres three orange ones that have Bengal spots and a little black striped one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sure, if theres a way to email it some how. I cant figure out how to post them. The pic is on my phone, if that helps

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that's kind of expensive for a non-purebred kitten. Unless they're spayed/neutered and fully vetted.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What do you think is a fair price to offer?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't want to encourage an irresponsible breeder by paying them anything, especially if they did it on purpose. If it was an accident and they plan to spay the mother ASAP. . .I'd pay fair value for the vetting they've done plus a bit more for food and other care. Or offer to pay for the mother's spay.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like backyard breeding. Specially if the add says that they're supposed to be Bengal mixes, as they are domestic shorthairs and should be advertised as such. I'd recommend checking out rescues nearby, at least they come fully vetted (as far as I know) and aren't results of deliberately mixing breeds.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input.

I thinking about offering her $50 for a kitten

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you specifically wanting one because they're half Bengal or because you want a cute kitten? If you want a half-Bengal, ask to see the "Bengal's" papers. A lot of people like to call their brown tabby a Bengal :tongue2:.

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Because they are half Bengal. The male is registered thru TICA.

She also sent pics of both the parents

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending photos of a couple of cats doesn't prove they are the parents. Recently, there was a thread about "purebred" kittens for sale--the seller had sent the OP photos of the "parents" but a Google image search revealed that those photos had been randomly pulled from the internet. Do a Tineye or Google image search using those photos and see if they turn up somewhere online. Any chance you could post them here? I'd be curious to see them.

Last edited:

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can if theres a way to email them somehow. The pics are on my phone and I dont know how to post them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now, prices for moggies are generally far too low. This is contributing to the quite common impression of cats and especielly moggies, as animals practically without worth. As anybody who so wishes, can always dump /pts the old one, and get himself a new for a handfull dollars or even for free, just for "a good home".

So, I myself would say, a price for a healthy, well socialized kittens shouldnt go for no cent less than 100 dollars, or more, if there were any fairness in the world.

If all the vet works done too, 200 dollars shouldnt be nowhere too high.

Here you want a bengal look alike, even with quite real smell of a real bengal. 

I would say - 200 dollars is pricey as things are, but OK, as you get what you want.

It is so far you can get if you arent willing to pay for the real thing, ie a properly breeded, healthy nice 100% bengal kitten.   

Although you can almost surely get hold of an adult bengal for 200 dollars, or even less.

The only real contra here is, we dont want to encourage BYB´s  and profit seekers.

Nothing wrong on trying to get a little plus of your dear hobby, but it is wrong to do so by the cost of the cats, misusing the cats.

Here is much a question of feeling!

My comment is:

If you feel inside you they are not OK for her cat, misusing her (typical BYB has several queens for production), etc, dont even pay 50 bucks.

If you are sure it is a good home for the cats, they are loved and cared for - yeah, 200 bucks is entirely OK.  Satysfying also your pride: you did bought what you wanted and payed for it.

Because a nice moggie is worth it.  And you get a little bengal alike as a pure bonus at that.   :)

I hope I wasnt too Byzantine... (=unclear)      :)

Good luck!

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now, prices for moggies are generally far too low. This is contributing to the quite common impression of cats and especielly moggies, as animals practically without worth. As anybody who so wishes, can always dump /pts the old one, and get himself a new for a handfull dollars or even for free, just for "a good home".

So, I myself would say, a price for a healthy, well socialized kittens shouldnt go for no cent less than 100 dollars, or more, if there were any fairness in the world.

If all the vet works done too, 200 dollars shouldnt be nowhere too high.

Here you want a bengal look alike, even with quite real smell of a real bengal. 

I would say - 200 dollars is pricey as things are, but OK, as you get what you want.

It is so far you can get if you arent willing to pay for the real thing, ie a properly breeded, healthy nice 100% bengal kitten.   

Although you can almost surely get hold of an adult bengal for 200 dollars, or even less.

The only real contra here is, we dont want to encourage BYB´s  and profit seekers.

Nothing wrong on trying to get a little plus of your dear hobby, but it is wrong to do so by the cost of the cats, misusing the cats.

Here is much a question of feeling!

My comment is:

If you feel inside you they are not OK for her cat, misusing her (typical BYB has several queens for production), etc, dont even pay 50 bucks.

If you are sure it is a good home for the cats, they are loved and cared for - yeah, 200 bucks is entirely OK.  Satysfying also your pride: you did bought what you wanted and payed for it.

Because a nice moggie is worth it.  And you get a little bengal alike as a pure bonus at that.   :)

I hope I wasnt too Byzantine... (=unclear)      :)

Good luck!
Thanks StefanZ:)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like backyard breeding. Specially if the add says that they're supposed to be Bengal mixes, as they are domestic shorthairs and should be advertised as such. I'd recommend checking out rescues nearby, at least they come fully vetted (as far as I know) and aren't results of deliberately mixing breeds.
Agree get a rescue cat rather than supporting a back yard breeder
If you want a Bengal find a good breeder and get one instead of an overpriced moggie who's personality traits may not be Bengal at all. A well bred cat from a reputable breeder is worth it over supporting bybs

This is exactly why reputable breeders neuter their kittens before placement - so they don't end up in the hands of bybs

Bybs exist because of supply and demand. If people didn't support them they couldn't keep breeding domestics

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is exactly why reputable breeders neuter their kittens before placement - so they don't end up in the hands of bybs

Btw, they arent lending out studs for mating with moggies either.

Not breeders and no serious owners,  if they happen to have an unspayed tom.  (In Sweden we have a tradition of late spaying, so this question of not never ever lending out stud services to moggies is important).

The european association Fife forbids it, and Im sure all other associations do too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The european association Fife forbids it, and Im sure all other associations do too.
Not allowed here either, can only mate with registered cats of same breed unless you have permission for an approved outcross program. (Such as Abyssinians to Ocicats, but these are monitored, written out with guidelines)

dilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just curious, would it be more ethical and worth $200 if the kittens were crossed with a Siamese or another purebred cat?