Bengal Cats?

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

Have you posted pictures of them all here? Can you post a link?

Do your bengals not get along because one is laid back and the other is more active? What I mean is, are their personalities conflicting? What are your meezers like? I know everyone says gender doesn't matter ('cause they're altered) but whats your personal take on that?

Thanks Hope!
Tiffany
Here is a signature I made with my two Bengals Simba and Angel.

Angel really is pretty mellow and low key, and Simba is a WILDMAN, very playful and very dominant. He intimidates Angel, she is actually scared of him. Simba is not mean by any stretch of the imagination, but he does love to playfully pick on the other cats. He's like a typical little boy tease, who just won't stop until he's made you mad. He kind of reminds me of the little boy who sits behind a little girl with braids at school, and constantly pull on them, until she gets mad. Anyway, Angel takes it as a threat, where as the Siamese cats don't. In fact SunLee turns the tables and chases and plays with Simba, which he loves. If Angel would just play with him, instead of getting scared, I think they could get along, my older Siamese Shane, doesn't like to play either, but he does love Simba when Simba is in a more mellow mood. Shane used to try to mother or should I say father Simba when he was a kitten. Shane loves to groom him.

Here is Shane.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow Hope very pretty siamese you got there. Nice bengals as well

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bengalbabe

Eventually every breeder will need to temporarily cage a cat for one reason or another like birthing, illness, or quarentine. It is safer for the cat or the other cats or the litter, however, it is something completely different when a cat lives in a cage. I also agree that if you have to have your cats live in a cage then you probably have too many cats.
How do you (any of the breeders here) handle the males and females? Do they need to be kept seperate, or only when the female is in heat?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Telynn

How do you (any of the breeders here) handle the males and females? Do they need to be kept seperate, or only when the female is in heat?
Yes they need to be kept seperate so that you know who is pregant by who, and also sometimes you don't want the cats to breed and the males fight really bad. I personally have a large outdoor habitat area just off my patio with different kennels and a kitten house. I keep some of the males in the large kennels/runs along the sides of the enclosed habitat. some of the females are in the open central area along with older kittens and some of the females are in the kitten hosue with an attached outdoor run with the younger kittens. The new mothers and youngest kittens are inside my house in a bedroom in a large, multi level birthing cage. I allow mothers and kittens out by letting then take turns out of the cage throughout the day.
You can see what the setup looks like on my website at http://www.littleleopardcats.com under the "our jungle" link from the main menu.

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very cute BangelBabe i want Artic o_o hehe so pretty. Love the snow bengals.

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Such beautiful cats!

Very nice setup. It must take a lot of room to breed properly. You want the cats to have plenty of room, but that room has to be doubled to keep the males and females apart.

Do any of you ever have any surprises? Like a sneaky male manageing to get into the females?

I love those black bengals, but since they aren't the result you want do you then not breed those two anymore? Or is it just something that happens once in a while?

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks.
Yes there has been an instance when a female snuck in a breeding right before I was going to spay her.
No we will still breed the parents of the melanistic bengals. They are great breeding cats and produce other colors besides the melanistic. We just place the melanistic kittens as pets. I never have a problem placing them either. They go very fast!

kittypaws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww.. must be pretty neat having a all black Bengal

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your answers!

My husband and I have a deal. I get my bengal when he can get his Harley. With one kid in college and another one headed that way soon I don't think either is going to happen anytime soon.

But some day...