Bengal Advice Needed.

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 2 1/2 year old Bengal about a week ago. She's just the sweetest girl in the world. Amazing temperament, puts up with my two toddlers - great cat. But she's still very shy. She's come a long way since I first brought her home. At first she stayed in one spot (behind my tv). She'd always let me approach her and pet her. She'd even nudge my hand with her head if I stopped. She's starting to get more comfortable and walk around the house. But she still freaks out, runs and hides if someone gets up or any sudden movement, really. My question is, how can I make Saydee (that's her name) feel as comfortable as possible and is there anything I can do to make this adjustment easier for her?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you asked the breeder for advice? They know their kittens best.

You could try containing her to just a small part of the house so she's not too overwhelmed. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did email the breeder a few days ago with no reply. I didn't get her directly from them though. I got her for free from a lady who only had her a few weeks. She had another Bengal who would attack poor Saydee. Whoever owned her before declawed her on all four paws, leaving her defenseless. I don't know anything about the other owner. I have papers for her, but being scatter-brained and having a lack of need for them (she's spayed and would have spayed her even if she wasn't and no intentions of showing her), I've misplaced them. I'm sure being passed around so much and having no means of defense plays a huge role in her shyness, which I completely understand. I just want to help her feel at ease. She's already my pride and joy. (:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry I misread years and months. Poor girl, usually there's a contract stating no declawing in the US (thankfully it's against the law over here), and also that the breeder will take the cat back in the event of the owners not being able to care for the kitten/cat. Keep her in a smaller area, try using interactive toys like a laser pointer or feather teaser so she comes to you, rather than you trying to go to her.

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also thought that about all of the things you stated. It's rather unfortunate for her. I felt so bad for her. I have no other animals though, so she doesn't have any threats here thank goodness. I will definitely try the interactive cat toys. She does like to play and climb. Also, do you think maybe a tall cat tree would be a good idea? I've heard that for cats who like to climb, it can offer a "safe zone" as well as just be fun for them. I want her to feel welcome and comfortable in her new home. (:

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Then I'll pick one up for her tomorrow (: Thanks so much for all your help!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure it's one she can jump up since she has been declawed.  Does she go on high places at present, if you have any?

She sounds pretty traumatised and atypical for a Bengal, but have hope.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also try with a Feliway adapter or spray out some Feliway spray now and then. (twice every 24 hours).  Google on Feliway if you want.

Shouldnt not be necessary, time and love are your allies. .But it will make it a little more easy.

Calm, soft music doesnt hurt either.

Im a little surprised the breeder doesnt answers.  Most do want to know what become of their "children".

And give some advices if they can.  Even if not all bother to buy them back if they got into unlucky circumstances.

All I know of do want to know.

Perhaps she changed mail??

Tx a lot for helping this girl!

Good luck!

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has no problem climbing whatsoever. Jumping, she has some problems with. She is a lil scaredy cat, with good reason, of course. I will most definitely search feliway adapter/spray. I'm assuming that's what happened to the breeder. I don't think they would ignore me. Unfortunately, I have no other way of getting a hold of them. I'm trying my best to be a good mommy to her. She's an amazing cat! Even with her nervousness, she is just the sweetest girl. Thanks everyone!

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was not a queen. She was bred strictly for a pet and spayed as a kitten. The last person she belonged to only had her a few weeks and said she liked sitting on her entertainment center (I think she likes the tv noise). She's definitely made some improvements. I bought her a cat tree and a laser toy (which she loves). She didn't touch the cat tree at first, but I placed it by the table with the tv on it and that's where she spends a lot of her time now. She's started coming up to me and I'll pet her. I just let her do her thing and I don't bother her unless she wants me to (: Also, she is an F5.

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"She is an AWESOME looking girl!! I would love to see more picture's of her"

Thanks! She is very very pretty (: I have taken a lot of pictures of her! But, I don't have a computer. I'm posting from a phone and I don't know how to post pictures in threads this way ):

" How many owners/homes, has she gone threw? Do you have any idea why, she has been re-homed so many times? Your description, of her, makes her sound like a GREAT BENGAL"

As far as I know, the breeder, whoever bought her from the breeder, and the lady I got her from and now, Me (: I don't know why the owner before the one I got her from got rid of her ): But the lady who gave her to me wanted to keep her. Unfortunately, her other Bengal didn't like her very much and would beat her up. Apparently the other owners got her declawed her in all four paws, leaving her defenseless. ):

" I think, she is a GREAT looking F5. Care to share the breeder?"

I lost her TICA papers (due to my scatter-brain and a lack of need) and I can't remember. If I come across them, I'll let you know (:

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"She is an AWESOME looking girl!! I would love to see more picture's of her"
Thanks! She is very very pretty (: I have taken a lot of pictures of her! But, I don't have a computer. I'm posting from a phone and I don't know how to post pictures in threads this way ):

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
" I think, she is a GREAT looking F5. Care to share the breeder?"
I lost her TICA papers (due to my scatter-brain and a lack of need) and I can't remember. If I come across them, I'll let you know (:
You don't necessarily need the papers to know the breeder, if you remember her real name it has the cattery's prefix in it and so the cattery can be googled.

For example if her name would be Divine Spotted Kitty, her cattery would very likely be called 'Divine'. It's easier with foreign and old catteries when TICA still allowed the 's and of, so the cattery names stood out more (like Divine's Spotted Kitty or Spotted Kitty of Divine).

ndwire89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am definitely glad to have her! I will make sure to let you know once I find her papers. I'm just hoping my kids didn't throw them away. They like to "help me clean" and throw away pretty important stuff sometimes lol.