Benebac

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After learning about bene-bac here I wanted to order the bene-bac for my 11month old kitten Paw, who has had diarrhea most of the time since brought home. He's been checked neg for worms and giardia. Vet wanted to treat him anyways for worms. I didn't do that. I needed to use the extra money to run a fungus test and have him neutered.

I found powder Probios at wal mart in the pet section. Close enough in price....7.99 without shipping costs and the waiting. Looks like it will last 5 times longer too. Not sure if it will work as well. The ingredients are not exactly the same or in the same order.

Probios
Ingredients: Sucrose, dried whey, sodium silico aluminate, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product and sodium thiosulfate.

Bene-Bac
Ingredients: Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried L. plantarum Fermentation Product, Dried Streptococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried L. casei Fermentation Product, Vegetable Oils, Sugar, Silicondioxide, Artificial Color, Polysorbate 80 (a preservative) with Tertiary Butyl Hydroquinone and Ethoxyquin.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 3CatsN1Dog

I dont know how it would go mixing it up into the food in a powder form. I would try doing it with tuna or something but Herc DOESNT eat treats at all..He is my anti snacker...So far the best thing for me to do with both is to use gel because Herc will let me just open his mouth right up and rub it on his tongue..Like its a game...Can I get the gel at Petsmart or online? Its 12 for a bottle at the vet and so far (going by the dial I have 2 gms left on one bottle and 10 left on the other) So its lasting a while giving them about 2 peas sized amount every morning. Ive also gotten a good look at everyones teeth and they are spic and span Im going to get cat tooth paste if I can find some..I brush the puppies teeth weekly with one of those finger tip brushes so I was thinking about looking for something for kitties.. Geez they are going to hate me between bathing ear cleanings and now Bene-bac..They are going to disown me..LOL
the only toothpaste worth using on your pets is an enzymatic (breaks down bacteria) veterinary toothpaste called c.e.t. There are other "flavored pet toothpastes" but they really are not worth using.

The c.e.t. (get at vet) enzymatic paste works great. I put it right on their teeth with my finger. Their teeth look better than ever since I started using it! just getting it into their mouths helps, but of course contact with tooth and gum is better. I can give you more info on how to train your cats to allow it if you want

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

Petco sells Bene-bac Powder, at the small animal section (i.e. ferrets)... You are right - the instructions are for single doses, for food transition, antibiotics, etc... I was giving Bugsy 1/2tsp daily, but now I am down to 1/4 tsp daily, and a full maintenance dose of 2 tsp weekly. It works great! You might want consider adding digestive enzymes to the diet as well...
just have to add something here...

Thanks for that tip!! I kinda randomly read this post and remembered it when I went to Petco to get a probiotic for Genever today. I looked and didn't see small animal Benebac, went and had a bottle of $15 stuff in my hand from the cat section, then went back to small animal section and looked again and found it. $4 for a pouch!! So thank you for saving me $11!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DarkMavis

just have to add something here...

Thanks for that tip!! I kinda randomly read this post and remembered it when I went to Petco to get a probiotic for Genever today. I looked and didn't see small animal Benebac, went and had a bottle of $15 stuff in my hand from the cat section, then went back to small animal section and looked again and found it. $4 for a pouch!! So thank you for saving me $11!
I know!!! I have no clue why they do that! But.... better for us who look for it, right?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to 2 different Pet stores looking for this stuff and havent found anything..So Ive got one more store to hit up to find Benebac and if I can only find the powder stuff Im going to buy small cans of wet food for them to have in the morning and mix the powder in that if I have to. If I cant find Benebac which is what I would prefer to get what else is there that I could get that works just as well..Cuz if I dont give them Benebac their poo goes to runny right away...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any farm supply/feed type stores? I have one around here that carries it (they even stock furminators several dollars cheaper than petsmart and petco).

Also, look in the closed expert forum section. There was a holistic vet on here at one point that did recommend human probiotics - as long as there are no bad fillers.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only feed store around here that I know of is CT Tractor Supply and we were there yesterday hunting for this stuff..They dont carry it but good news is that they do carry Taste of the Wild food and (I think Im remember this name correctly) Blue Buffalo food also and its not a horribly expensive price about 33 dollars for a 15lb bag so when this bag of food gets a little lower Im going to buy a bag of that and start making the switch to one of those foods. I think Im going to get TOTW for them to try.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CT may carry Probios. Probios comes in powder form or gel form.

The gel form is in a big tube with a "Plunger" type app. It is labeled for large animals, but you simply give one pea sized drop of the gel, once a day. Keep it in the fridge. Most cats lick it right off my finger. It works within a day or two, it's great stuff.

I've never used the pro bios powder, as I love the gel, the powder is labeled for cats though.

Another option is FortiFlora, that is made by purina. (powder) You can usually find that on certain on line pet supply stores (you can also find other probiotics on line)

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ill have to check the horse and cow isles when I go there next....I didnt think to look there I looked in the cat dog ferret and bunny stuff for it.