Benadryl for Cats

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just contracted the vet about my cats sneezing (with no other symptoms) they said to first try benadryl (childrens liquid). When looking this up, I saw theres only flavored liquid (cherry, grape, bubble gum). Is this still ok? Maybe I should just try the pills, but they didnt give me a dose for the pills so I have no idea how much to give. My cat is 6-7lbs

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This TCS thread mentions foaming with both the cherry and bubble gum flavors: Advice on Benadryl Apparently cats don't like the taste.

Can you call the vet and ask for the dosage for Benadryl pills? A quick search of TCS threads mentions using the 25 mg pill and giving 1/2 a pill to a 12 lb cat. A 1/4 pill might work for your 6 lb cat but double check with the vet first to be safe.

There are also other OTC antihistamines one could use such as Zyrtec or Claritin. Just check with the vet first and be clear about the dosage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the lady who i spoke to right now (the receptionist) said if cat is under 10lbs, she cant have tablet benadryl. which i find weird. i would of thought 1/4 tablet would be ok.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd speak directly with the vet to be 100% sure.

I checked the 7th edition of Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook and Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is suggested at a dose of 0.5 mg to 2 mg / kg orally once a day with a note that the liquid is distasteful.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This site mentions 1 mg per lbs of body weight. The liquid is 12.5 mg per 5 ml dose. Even half that for a 6 lbs cat is still 2.5 ml of liquid. This is a lot of liquid for a cat who is going to fight you for every swallow. It sounds like a 1/4 pill would be best. I think the receptionist is concerned that dosing becomes inexact when you quarter pills. Use a pill cutter. Besides, dosing becomes inexact when your cat is spitting out every mouthful of the liquid. But yes, I agree you with the post above. You should double check the dose and the formulation with the vet him/herself. Ask for a call-back.
Is Benadryl Safe for Cats?.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called again, told them my cat was fighting back when trying to give liquid form (which I didnt even try or bought:lol:), lady asked the vet and vet said 1/4 tablet is ok.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i accidently bought the pink pills Verify your identity
i meant to buy the regular white tablets, ugh! do you know if the ingredients in the pink pills are safe?