Belly Rash

NerdGirlsKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 10yo female cat has a recurring rash & I am at a loss to what could possibly be causing this. She has been to the vet 4 times now for the same rash, we have eliminated her foods & switched her to a special vet brand. I thought I had figured it out and the canned meat was causing the rash, but she hasn't had any meat now & the rash appeared again. Same location on her belly. The vet said she can't keep giving Dora steroids, and I know from her past visits that a dose of plain antibiotics doesn't get rid of it. What else can I do? It's growing quickly, but doesn't bother her yet. It's not warm, it's not itching her, she doesn't even notice it until it gets considerably larger.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Even though it isn't irritated/itchy, this from @Mamanyt1953 might be helpful;

You can actually use a wash of chilled chamomile tea. The nice thing about this is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply with clean cotton balls or similar.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, have yo considered that it might not be related to food at all, but something else in the environment? Perhaps litter? Or somewhere where she lays? It could be pretty much anything environmental, so you've got to put on your detective's hat to try to figure it out. Often, though, it's caused by litter. If you can switch that it to something without any perfumes or other additives that might do the trick.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of "canned meat" are you talking about? Cats need meat in their diet. Canned cat food is fine to feed although some types of meat can cause skin issues in some sensitive cats. There are novel protein canned cat foods that would be more suitable.

A diet change can be helpful but it usually takes at least 13 weeks or so for any effect to be seen. What prescription food are you feeding? Is it dry or canned?

A veterinary dermatologist can be helpful if your regular vet has no idea what is causing the rash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NerdGirlsKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did not consider her litter. I use tidy cat 24 hr performance (I think that's what it's called)

Is there a sensitive litter i should look for? I used to use arm and hammer but wasn't happy with the performance of it, I have used Tidy cats for years and years now.

She used to eat Fancy feast canned meat, then I switched her to sheba. She's a very finicky eater and refuses most canned foods (her sisters are even finickier than she is, I'm glad I got the easy of the 3 LOL) when the vet switched her to the new food, we eliminated the canned food hoping to narrow down the causes of this rash. It stayed gone for 8ish week's, so I gave her a little sheba. All seemed fine. A week later I gave her a little more sheba. No rash. 4 days later I gave her a 3rd serving of sheba and boom. Rash. So, back to the vet and we thought that the sheba must be the cause.

She's been on this vet dry food for almost 4 months now. No canned meat of any kind since her last outbreak a few weeks ago. But now it's appeared again, and it can't be the food.

I'm going to buy her new litter this weekend. I just want her to be healthy and happy. I'm so sad that I can't figure this out for her.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NerdGirlsKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Walnut or grass litter. Okay, I'll look for something like that. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try a novel protein canned food. Chicken is a common cause of food allergies in cats. Try a food that is in rabbit or duck or venison.

That Royal Canin hypoallergenic food has a few things that can cause skin issues in super sensitive cats: soy, chicken fat, brewer's rice. Food sensitives are tricky. A cat can be fine on a new diet for awhile and then the issues start up again:dunno:. You may want to try a commercially available limited ingredient cat food instead with better ingredients. Or look into a home cooked or raw diet.

Also look into environmental allergies.

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re you able to find any answers for your kitty cat? Mine is having a similar issue, but much worst.