Bella the Snow Bengal, revisited

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

So...a question...how do the blue eyes happen? Genetically?
Yes, I was wondering the same thing - about the blue eyes. Where did that come from? Is there Siamese in her pedigree?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

So...a question...how do the blue eyes happen? Genetically?
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Yes, I was wondering the same thing - about the blue eyes. Where did that come from? Is there Siamese in her pedigree?
It's the color-point gene. In Bella's case it is called "lynx-point", which accounts for the blue eyes. The only bengals to have blue eyes are the seal lynx point's.

Color point genes were introduced into bengal lines during the early 80's when breeders were experimenting with certain cats to produce a particular look and structure. Some of these early breedings were not well documented, so it is difficult to know if it was a siamese or other pointed breed or even a mix.

I've gone back to 12 generations on Bella's pedigree and there is no color point outcross documented, but the gene's are there and many bengals carry for seal, whether it be lynx, mink or sepia.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amazing looking cats! I did a little Google search for some pictures and I had no idea there were any cats out there like that! Very nice and unique!